MOT renewal / VOSA question

Richesio

I took my car to be MOT'ed as it was due to expire on the 21st of October 2015.

When I saw the new MOT certificate I noticed it said the 8th October 2016.

Normally an MOT will extend the date by a year from the original expiry date. When I questioned this with the garage they said VOSA were changing their systems and my car wasn't on there, so it was a knock on effect of this and there was nothing they could do.

Is this right? Does anyone else have any experience of this?

is your car uk registered with no recent changes to registration number? if so, should be all the old records on there.

check to see what the mot says online, whether it now states the MOT is valid to 8th October.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

im not aware of their being any change to MOT - my car was MOT'd on the 10th, but the new MOT certificate showed new expiry 26th October 2016, so a year after the 2015 one expired. And my car had a reg transfer two months before.

I'd check it online, and then query it with VOSA. I wouldn't loose sleep over 2 weeks less MOT, but it is annoying.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

I just called up the DVSA and they confirmed there is a known computer glitch which is affecting some renewal dates, so that's made me feel better.

The guys at the garage said they couldn't find the vehicle, and having not owned it a year I was a bit suspect.

But all is well. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case anyone is in a similar situation.