Banana / Compression arms - how to ?

niz

I feel kind of strange posting this as it surely must have been covered but I can't find anything.

Before I start working on this, are there any guides for changing banana arms. Is there anything to watch out for? Or is it actually so simple I should just tear in and not worry? ;)

The main problem I had was undoing the nut off from the joint at the hub carrier and I ended up cutting it off, being v careful not to damage the threads on the stud. I didnt try any heat on first though and that would have helped.

I usually go blow torch before angle grinder - depending on my mood of course!

I'll just be going with the procedure in the service manual then - cross bar off then compression arm. Plenty of plusgas on this stuff before the weekend then.

Job done and fairly stress free for a change!

- Advice I would give is get the whole front of the car well off the ground, blow torch and breaker bar essential for the bigger bolts - Impact gun is also great for whizzing them off. I got away without needing to use a ball-joint splitter as it popped out with a tap of the hammer but others might not be so lucky,

what signs did you have prior to replacement that they were needed?

quite simply a bang/thump from the front going over bumps - Narrowed it down to the drivers side as I could reproduce it easily by driving the right wheels over cats eyes.

quite simply a bang/thump from the front going over bumps - Narrowed it down to the drivers side as I could reproduce it easily by driving the right wheels over cats eyes.

Did the new compression arm sort it? I now have the dreaded knocking and want to sort it soon! I've been on google trying to see if there are any upgraded versions around as I imagine sticking a new identical one on will have the same problem again in a few years, but I had no luck.

1-2 years ago I replaced the ARB drop links which got rid of that noise, but this noise is different and has slowly got louder and louder so I imagine this is the compression / banana arm too.

Edited by KurtB

Did the new compression arm sort it? I now have the dreaded knocking and want to sort it soon! I've been on google trying to see if there are any upgraded versions around as I imagine sticking a new identical one on will have the same problem again in a few years, but I had no luck.

1-2 years ago I replaced the ARB drop links which got rid of that noise, but this noise is different and has slowly got louder and louder so I imagine this is the compression / banana arm too.

Yes it's 100% now - You can uprate the bush but the ball joint is what it is. It's a wear and tear item.

Yes it's 100% now - You can uprate the bush but the ball joint is what it is. It's a wear and tear item.

OK thanks for that, yeah I imagine I will keep the standard spec bush as it seems likely the ball joint will fail first! :lol:

Was it a Nissan part you replaced it with?

Edited by KurtB

Just go genuine. Zmanalex will get you the best price. As far as I can tell there is alot aftermarket unbranded eBay Chinese stuff, you take your chances with that gear. It's a moving part with rubber bushes so yes it will fail again, but there's 74k on my car and that's probably the first failure, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Fit a genuine part and forget.

Just go genuine. Zmanalex will get you the best price. As far as I can tell there is alot aftermarket unbranded eBay Chinese stuff, you take your chances with that gear. It's a moving part with rubber bushes so yes it will fail again, but there's 74k on my car and that's probably the first failure, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Fit a genuine part and forget.

That's cool, yeah I would like to stick with OEM or better, will look at getting it sorted in the next few weeks. Cheers for the help :thumbs: