Short Shifter

Zedrush

Anyone installed a short shifter on their Z? Any noticable differents in smoothness or quicker gear changing?

I was going to install one , but on reading some reports in tHe US forums, which made poor reading deceided against.. I just put the gear knob on that makes it a shorter shift instead :)

From what I've heard on teh US forums short shifters arent too good on the Zed. The shift is already quite short throw as it is, reducing it would make it very short imo. If you want to shorten it a tad do as suggested above and fit a lower gear knob, that will shorten it slightly :thumbs:

From what I've heard on teh US forums short shifters arent too good on the Zed. The shift is already quite short throw as it is, reducing it would make it very short imo. If you want to shorten it a tad do as suggested above and fit a lower gear knob, that will shorten it slightly :thumbs:

+1

I have a short shifter fitted to my Teg and with the throw on the Zed i cant see it doing much...

Anyone installed a short shifter on their Z? Any noticable differents in smoothness or quicker gear changing?

We have fitted quite a few of the BM short shifters without any issues but as sais by others the Nismo knob will shorten the throw as well due to it's lower position.

Both in stock as it happens. :teeth:

We have fitted quite a few of the BM short shifters without any issues but as sais by others the Nismo knob will shorten the throw as well due to it's lower position.

Sales pitch of the year Phil, you are gonna make me broke :lol:

Might just be easier if I give you my credit card now and you can max it for me and have all the stuff waiting for the 27th visit :p

Might just be easier if I give you my credit card now and you can max it for me and have all the stuff waiting for the 27th visit :p

we also accept direct transfer pay cheques from your employer if that helps smooth out the transaction :lol:

we also accept direct transfer pay cheques from your employer if that helps smooth out the transaction :lol:

:lol: Phil I should recieve that book when i get home, big thanks to you for that mate :thumbs:

As for me I gotta have a short shifter! My '03 is slightly more than 2" throw gear to gear. It's very smooth (like butter) and less effort than stock (shift with one finger if you want). It glides precisely into each gate. My '91 also has a short shifter with only slightly more throw than the '03 and 100% improvement over stock.

The 350 factory set-up is a relatively stiff, moderate force one. I prefer a significantly lighter force shifter where I can feel each gate. It also gives me much faster, more precise gear changes. Generally, if you find yourself missing shifts, you've got too heavy a shifter, forcing you to use too much muscle (when you ham-fist the shifter, it's harder to feel the gates).

My bet about those who complain about a heavier (more effort) shift is that it was improperly installed. I can install any shifter such that King Kong couldn't shift gears. The trick is to tune the shift feel to the driver -- you can give it about any shift force you want. Additionally, during the install, you have to make sure that everything is all properly aligned so it glides into each gate without hanging up.

When I help other folks out with a short shifter install, I have them shift through all the gears while I'm under the car making small adjustments until they have the exact feel that suits them. Try to find a garage who will do that for you.

The shifter in the '03 is titanium and in the '91, stainless steel.

Go to this link for my install write-up (steps 15-19 are the keys):

http://zchickz.com/qshift1.htm