Engine 'Fluttering' noise when warm

Exec

Hi guys,

One week into ownership and I have noticed an engine noise, only when warm after 20mins or so of driving. I wouldn't call it a knock, more of a Fluttering noise which isn't there at all when started cold and only noticeable when idling warm.

Car is an 05 DE UK Gt spec with 55k miles, car had been serviced and mot before I bought it. Oil level seems okay although I am planning on topping up as soon as ordered oil arrives. If this doesn't make a difference which I don't think it will I'm going to delve further.

Next investigation will be replacing the fuel damper to see if this helps? It did cross my mind this noise may be normal with all 350z but I don't think so. Noise audible more so from cabin rather than outside.

I did try and record but very difficult to hear the noise on phone audio. Iv only run the car on premium since purchase.

I do hope this turns out to be an easy fix! :)

Here is a sample of the noise I recorded, still not sure what this noise is and if this is normal.

Could well just be a loud timing belt spinning?

Definitely not normal. It's too loud/noticeable to be normal. Almost sounds like a Heatshield on it's last legs rattling away almost ready to fall off. I doubt it's that though.

Here is a sample of the noise I recorded, still not sure what this noise is and if this is normal.

Definitely not normal. It's too loud/noticeable to be normal. Almost sounds like a Heatshield on it's last legs rattling away almost ready to fall off. I doubt it's that though.

I am right in saying that if it was the throw out bearing the noise would be affected by the clutch? The noise comes and goes, only noticeable when the engine is warm and idling. In the vid i think its more audible as i was on a slight incline. Im leaning more and more toward this being the timing belt, maybe needs tension adjusted or new belt?

When revved you cant hear the noise, im not sure whether it goes away completely or is just masked. Think it may be a belt of some sort? As mentioned before only seems to happen when warmed up

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED

The noise was being caused by the Japspeed K1 exhaust which was touching the undertray/ brace. The previous owner had a piece of rubber between the two to stop the contact although this had worn through.

Ah! Peace of mind :)

• Like 2