rusty underneath help?

willow990

bought my 350 just under a month ago and finally had chance to get it on the ramp and look underneath. straight away noticed sort of 'u' shaped brace that was completely corroded (pictured). after looking a bit further, just behind the fuel tank (i think) there was another plate of some sort which is on its way out. I've tried to get some pictures the best i can, but if someone could give me any advice on if these need replacing? is it structural? and what they are called? so i can look into it replacing them. any advice would be appreciated so i can get it sorted before winter sets in :)post-26604-0-68680600-1442736121_thumb.jpgpost-26604-0-41795600-1442736124_thumb.jpgpost-26604-0-13725900-1442736127_thumb.jpgpost-26604-0-92867300-1442736129_thumb.jpgpost-26604-0-42504700-1442736132_thumb.jpg

That is definitely the worst condition W-brace I've seen on a 350 Willow. :scare:

Usually the cheap option that most people can do is remove it, clean the rust off and "Hammerite" paint over it but yours definitely needs binning asap before it falls off in the road, ...could be especially bad if it comes off and hits another car.

You could try zmanalex on here for a pre-owned W-brace which is the cheapest option.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/user/9648-zmanalex/

Your next option and imo the best option is to get an aftermarket W-brace as it will be cheaper than getting a Nissan OEM replacement. This is the one I usually recommend to people on here and everyone I know has been more than happy with it.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Racing-Rear-Lower-Brace-Nissan-350Z-3-5-2003-RL4-1259-/271339756751?hash=item3f2d1c1ccf

If you don't like or want it though then I believe the Cougar Store or Clark Motorsport on here can both get you the OEM W-brace. Other traders may be able to as well but they are just the two I know who definitely should be able to although if memory serves it's around the £200 mark for the OEM one.

Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 2

That makes me feel a whole lot better about mine although i bet with a good poke around it would be a similar state.

Been eyeing up those ultra racing braces on ebay already but seems that they are also available for about £30 cheaper from a different seller, unless I'm missing something? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Fairlady-350Z-3-5-2003-Rear-Lower-Bar-Rear-Member-Brace-/371418001776?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

That makes me feel a whole lot better about mine although i bet with a good poke around it would be a similar state.

Been eyeing up those ultra racing braces on ebay already but seems that they are also available for about £30 cheaper from a different seller, unless I'm missing something? http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2054897.l4275

Nope you're not missing something AFAIK, ...always best to shop around for the cheapest price. ;)

I have just replaced mine although it was not as horrific as that one ,I bought a genuine replacement part from Nissan which was nearly £160 inc vat brand new and it came painted in black but rather like a new panel i felt it needed fully painting with a smooth finish hard black paint so sprayed it and left it a couple of days before fitting ,Nissan did not recognise it as a W brace took the parts boys 1/2 an hour to come up with the actual part number and was ordered and delivered in 48 hours .makes the whole underneath look better .