[SOLVED] Alarm Problems

Puffmac

Hi Guys,

Not long had my Zed, and as you do with a new car I was snooping around the whole thing at the weekend. I noticed in the boot a loud speaker with no plug in it, and a plug with no loud speaker on it. I added two and two together and plugged said plug into said loudspeaker... cue the most horrific shriek I've ever heard - amplified by the spare wheel well which my head was also in - and much swearing as I frantically tried to unplug the thing again!

Having learned my lesson the first time - I grabbed a set of earplugs and went in for some experimentation. I tried plugging it back in and shut the boot and then tried locking/unlocking to try and silence the alarm - nothing. I made sure everything was shut including all doors, windows, bonnet - even tried unplugging the bonnet switch which I had read online could be causing issue with the alarm but it still kept sounding. It was as if the whole system had been activated by plugging the speaker in, as the hazards were flashing along with the alarm.

I've left it unplugged for now, however I would really like to get it working. The only thing I suspect that MAY be causing an issue is the retrofitted reverse parking sensors. The wiring goes through a central grommet on the rear bulkhead in the boot down behind the bumper to the sensors, so perhaps there is a short being caused by those that is triggering the alarm. I shall need to get the bumper off for a better look.

Another brain wave I had today was to try and deactivate the alarm before plugging in the speaker (I read how to do this somewhere in the manual at the weekend, but never thought to try it), which I'm going to try later on tonight. If anyone has any suggestions please do let me know, as if I can't sort it myself tonight I'm going to book it in to Infiniti Glasgow to have them have a peak at it.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Puffmac

Being local in Perth, I would love to invite you along and help you Andy, but my shop neighbours are already complaining to me about excessive noise and fumes. :surrender:

Aex, I understand completely! I think my neighbours will be feeling the same way with the not-so-quiet start up at 6 every morning and now me playing with the alarm!

On another note, did you get my PM regarding clutch parts? I was looking for some rough figures as I plan to stash the money away just in case. It seems fine just now but I have a sneaky feeling.

• 4 weeks later...

In case anybody else encounters this. I spoke to a Nissan technician and he said that alarms will often react this way, in case someone has unplugged the alarm to steal the car or whatever. He suggested plugging it in and leaving it as it may turn off on its own, however he admitted he was guessing a bit, as he hadn't seen many 350Zs. Anyway, he recommended I at least try it and see - what's the worst that could happen: some upset neighbours and a few angry dogs :p. Anyway, following on from his advice I decided I would give it a go but by disconnecting the battery first. That way, my head wouldn't be buried in the wheel well right next to the bloody speaker this time!

I then done the following:

1. disconnected the battery
  2. tried to open the boot
  3. realised I'm an arse
  4. reconnected the battery
  5. opened the boot
  6. disconnected the battery
  7. plugged in the alarm siren
  8. shut the boot
  9. unplugged the the bonnet alarm sensor

As expected, when I reconnected the battery the alarm went off instantly. However, I was not expecting to find that when I hit the key fob to turn it off it actually worked. Voila! Reconnected the bonnet sensor, shut the bonnet and sat in the car, locked it and waved my arms about like a fud, only to be met with an ear splitting screech that confirmed the alarm was working! Once again the key fob deactivated it. Job jobbed :D.

I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else runs into this situation. I know it's a nightmare when you search the internet for something and come across a forum post where the OP disappears and never posts the solution! :thumbs: