EXHAUST SOUND CONTROLLER VALVE 76MM SILENCER BUNG BAFFLE NOISE RESTRICTOR Z0196

GrahameJ

This may be a useful bit of kit for those of you failing noise tests at Track Days:

An Exhaust butterfly valve to restrict the sound when needed, controlled electrically by a rocker switch.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Quote - "The ECV was created as an alternative to the standard silencer typically fitted in the tip of performance exhaust systems to lower the sound output.

The angle of the valve can be modified on the fly from within the cockpit to provide complete control over exhaust decibel output.

For Modifying 76mm Exhaust Systems.

Kit comes with 2 steel flanges to weld onto the original exhaust should you need to"

http://s1203.photobu...0195-1.jpg.html

Just remember you have to go fast past the pits in case anyone is watching, but you also have a button just in case the sound level steward has a meter there! ;-)

Note - the steward isn't always in the pits, but can be on the exit of a corner where max revs are being reached. :-(

Before anybody asks I am not selling the kit and do not know the eBay seller.

Hi JetPilot,

I know that too well after racing for two seasons in the British Harley Davidson championship on most UK race tracks, as a support race to the British Superbike championship! ;-)

Nearly all the top runners used un-silenced straight through megaphone exhausts, breaking the 105db limit at the time.

The race stewards regularly met with the race organisers to discuss this point.

So let's just say you can use the switch to avoid annoying your neighbours. :-)

For me it would be quite handy as I want an Agency Power Single exit.

But I wouldn't be able to do track days with that exhaust.

So Track days I'd be able to silence etc.

But no idea on the harm this could cause or if it'd actually work :lol:

It should work.

By closing the butterfly valve gas flow and hence noise will be restricted.

The same affect as adding a smaller diameter baffle in the tail pipe,

as I have seen photos of people doing on this site.

The ecu will compensate and adjust the fuel accordingly.

If it didn't, everyone on here fitting their performance exhausts would have to get the ecu's remapped to avoid running too lean.

The Jaguar F-type has a button to achieve the same thing:

"Meanwhile, the active sports exhaust involves a flap that opens up at 3,000rpm and unleashes some serious sonic fury. Or if you choose, you can hit the exhaust button and have open at all times. Just don't expect your neighbours to thank for that. It's loud, very loud, with the flap permanently open."

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/new-jaguar-g-type-the-sports-car-rebooted-1155404

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f-type/f-type-models/f-type-coupe.html

I was behind one the other day as it accelerated into a 50mph limit, and it was bl@@dy loud! :)

Edited by GrahameJ

So let's just say you can use the switch to avoid annoying your neighbours. :-)

Probably the best use for it imho :)

For me it would be quite handy as I want an Agency Power Single exit.

But I wouldn't be able to do track days with that exhaust.

So Track days I'd be able to silence etc.

But no idea on the harm this could cause or if it'd actually work :lol:

I guess a lot would depend how far you actually had to have it shut regards performance loss, by looking at the video for it to be effective it would have to be pretty well closed or at least 2/3rds shut imho and your playing a guessing game as to when to press the switch.

Regards ecu compensating for fuelling it would have to be pre lambda sensor post cat, not halfway down the exhaust, not sure anyone hopes to gain performance from an exhaust on here, just audible pleasure :)