Nightmares waiting & General Advice

pbeatty

My GT4 should be at my dealership in the morning. Had nightmares last night that it turned up with dents and scratches. God knows how I'll sleep tonight.

Has anyone got any general advice on keeping the car in the best condition as in general maintainance etc. I think I'll be booking in at Paintshield to get the paint protected but advice on oil, brakes and anything else would be most welcome.

Know how you feel bud. Not long now.

First thing I would suggest ( may also help you sleep ;) ) are the threads on cleaning, dont know how into it you are now but the paintwork is easily messed up. It may become a little obsessive, detailing is fun :blush: Paintshield is a good move.

Wont mention tyres as they have been covered a little recently.

When servicing take your own oil. works out cheaper, again plenty of threads.

Brakes should be fine but when changing contact one of the trders on here for great advice and prices.

General rule, dealers charge the earth ( as you well know :p ) for upgrades and there are plenty of options on here at sensible prices.

Apart from that enjoy mate, look forward to hearing from you tomorrow-ish :D

Has anyone got any general advice on keeping the car in the best condition as in general maintainance etc. I think I'll be booking in at Paintshield to get the paint protected but advice on oil, brakes and anything else would be most welcome.

As Digsy says, basically have a look at the grooming forum. My Zed is now 3.5 years old, and I've yet to see (even a brand new one) that is as shiny as my Zed is. Make sure you use good quality car cleaning products most of all.

Pardon me as we have different names for things in NZ, by Paintshield do you guys mean the "clear bra" plastic for the nose etc?? Or do you mean those awful spray on Teflon paint protectants that dealers push. Don't do it!!!!!!!! As most people in the paint industry will tell you and you will see for yourself, it will wreck your paint. One of our guys with a 350 has found this out the hard way, and you can't use normal car cleaning products on it. Lol, in my humble opinion the stuff is evil!!! (Qualifying this I have a few different friends that own panel shops and they hate spray on teflon coating!!!!!! + I've seen many, many cases myself).

Now go get some sleep. ;):p

Paintshield is the clear plastic stuff.

I got the complete front done about two weeks ago by another company. Bonnet piece was a one piece job as opposed to two or three pieces. Looks great but the supplier isn't happy and wants to do it again. Fine by me.

Our guy here, has had a major with the Paintshield stuff as you lot call it. Bugs got baked into it on a few long trips, ended up being a mission as the dealer had to get the installer back in who didn't know what to do to fix. Took a few months or so. :wacko:

Our guy here, has had a major with the Paintshield stuff as you lot call it. Bugs got baked into it on a few long trips, ended up being a mission as the dealer had to get the installer back in who didn't know what to do to fix. Took a few months or so. :wacko:

The thing to remember is that not all paint protection film is Paintshield film. I also understand that Paintshield is just the UK (European) arm of the company (X-Pel) and as such wouldn't be the guys who did the work in NZ.

I highly recommend Paintshield and would never buy a car without it (I have had two done now).

The thing to remember is that not all paint protection film is Paintshield film. I also understand that Paintshield is just the UK (European) arm of the company (X-Pel) and as such wouldn't be the guys who did the work in NZ.

I highly recommend Paintshield and would never buy a car without it (I have had two done now).

it never gets warm enough in the uk to bake bugs :blush: