Traction control issues

Neil

When I decided to purchase a set of 'summer wheels' a few years ago, I did alot of research into the correct rolling radius, as follows;

Front OEM 225x45ZR18 = 245x35ZR19

Rear OEM 245x45ZR18 = 275x35ZR19

I have had 3 sets of tyres since then, mainly Falken 452's (directional). I have also used Dunlop SP1's

Recently, I had to purchase a pair of Falken 453 (asymmetric) 275x35ZR19 for the rears as Falken have discontinued the 452 range.

I now have 452's on the front (directional) and 453's on the rear (assymmetrical)

Since then the traction control cuts in when travelling along bend to the right over 50mph! Quite un-nerving and cornering confidence is reduced.

I can only put this down to the different tyre treads as I have never experienced this before (unless anyone has any other thoughts on this?). I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place as I may have to find funds to change the fronts to 453's as well, despite being assured by Blackcircle.com that it is OK to mix treads front to rear!

If anyone is thinking of purchasing tyres, please bear the above in mind chaps...

(is it possible to adjust the TC sensitivity perhaps?).

Neil

Edited by Neil

I experienced this issue last week. Going round a right hand bend at 50ish and the traction control cut in three times in short succession.

I have a new set of MPSS' (a couple hundred miles) and have travelled round the same corner, with the same tyres, at the same speed in worse conditions without any issues. So maybe it's not just the tyres playing with the TC?

Edited by terry06

try 255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear to match factory tyre sizes

also what depth are the tyres on the front, if there 3mm and the rears are now 8mm thats alot of difference, you will find it thinks the car is wheel spinning as the rear wheels are not turning at the specified ratio to the fronts

Edited by StevoD

I would suggest going the other way... the rears need to be rotating around 2% slower than the fronts, if you want to make the tcs less sensitive then make the rears rotate a lot slower than the fronts, ie put even larger rear tyres on relative to the front!

but personally I don't think running different tyres is the issue, I ran directional Hankook V12s on the front and asymettric Hankook S1 Evo2s on the rear for a year with no problems.

i'd perhaps be looking at wheel speed sensors and the like, does it happen even when you aren't going particularly quickly?

try 255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear to match factory tyre sizes

also what depth are the tyres on the front, if there 3mm and the rears are now 8mm thats alot of difference, you will find it thinks the car is wheel spinning as the rear wheels are not turning at the specified ratio to the fronts

There's about 4mm on the fronts and 8mm on the rear - Good point mate, thank you

I would suggest going the other way... the rears need to be rotating around 2% slower than the fronts, if you want to make the tcs less sensitive then make the rears rotate a lot slower than the fronts, ie put even larger rear tyres on relative to the front!

but personally I don't think running different tyres is the issue, I ran directional Hankook V12s on the front and asymettric Hankook S1 Evo2s on the rear for a year with no problems.

i'd perhaps be looking at wheel speed sensors and the like, does it happen even when you aren't going particularly quickly?

Yeah, I thought that, but what is confusing me is that the rolling radius is correct and I have had 3 sets of the same size tyres without any issues whatsoever.

Could it be a stability thing? I ask because I have a clicking on the OSF (sounds like brakes pads moving up and down in the calipers, but it isnt).

I've changed the banana arms a couple of months ago - I think I'll replace all 4 drop links to see if that resolves it.

Thank you for your replies gentlemen ;)

Neil