Belt squeal and rattling sound, Procharger SC

MPv6

Hi!

I have two issues with my Procharger Supercharger kit.

The belt squeals at startup. I have recently changed the multi belt to a brand new one. But it squeals more than ever. Stops after about 15 seconds after startup. Here is a clip of the squeal, but this is an old clip, it lasts longer now.

As you can se in the comments, someone writes that I should "change the two small pulleys". Exactly which pulleys is he referring to? See attached file (not my car). Can this be the issue?

Could the belt be too tight or too loose?

There's a rattling noise from the supercharger unit on idle when I have driven it for about five minutes and then let it go down to idle. The rattling sound is not there on idle when I've just started it up, only when I have driven it a while. My dad thought it might be the bearings in the pulleys with "teeth", that drives the supercharger.

Here is a video clip: www.markusp.se/download/procharger_bearings.mp4

Help much appreciated!

/Markus, Sweden

post-23438-0-72777800-1436309597_thumb.jpg

In general belt squeal at start up means loose so you need to get it tensioned more until that goes.

The rattle is from the gear within the sc. if your bearings become noisy they are getting bad?!. Was this a used or new unit? Don't remember if the pro charger is self lubricated or takes oil from the engine.

The Procharger belts should not slip as they are tooth belts, but they do wear.

The rattling is not good and if a C2 then it will be self lubricating.

However no great drama as I have plenty spares as I used to run a Procharger C2.

Lots of new and preowned pulleys in stock to chose from.

Also I have 1 new Procharger C2 head unit (blower) that I kept as a spare.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

All parts are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Regards,

Alex. :)

In general belt squeal at start up means loose so you need to get it tensioned more until that goes.

The rattle is from the gear within the sc. if your bearings become noisy they are getting bad?!. Was this a used or new unit? Don't remember if the pro charger is self lubricated or takes oil from the engine.

Yep, that would be my thought as well, to tighten the belt. But the belt is much tighter now than when I bought the car. The S/C kit was installed when I bought it, new and installed in 2003. I never had any squealing sounds until I started adjusting and replacing tensioners, bearings, belts and stuff. I've heard/read that sometimes it might as well be too tightened, and that's causing the squeal. but I don't know... Since it's a brand new belt it's probably nothing dangerous, but pretty annoying. I want it to go away for good.

The C-2 S/C is self lubricated. The mileage on the car is below 9 000 (yes, nine thousand) miles (American), extremely low. But I can se wear on the pulleys with "teeth" if you know which ones I mean. What's normal mileage for having to change parts of this S/C kit? I just changed/refilled the S/C oil with ProCharger oil, changed the longest one of the belts as I wrote, and also changed the bearings in the two small tensioner pulleys that tightens the longest belt.

Oh rattly s/c... Bad bad noise! I had that couple of times on my old s/c blower - and both times it was knackered bearings :( fingers crossed it not in your case!

Yep, it doesn't sound good. I've never heard this rattling sound before.

The Procharger belts should not slip as they are tooth belts, but they do wear.

The rattling is not good and if a C2 then it will be self lubricating.

However no great drama as I have plenty spares as I used to run a Procharger C2.

Lots of new and preowned pulleys in stock to chose from.

Also I have 1 new Procharger C2 head unit (blower) that I kept as a spare.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

All parts are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Regards,

Alex. :)

That's good to know, thanks! I will drop you a PM!