Battery Change

guBBy

Hi all.

Battery will no longer start the car without jump leads so I'm going to buy a new battery today.

Just wanted to ask I few people had said online about dropping the windows before changing the battery. This would be impossible for me as my drivers window currently doesn't drop at all!

Would I still be okay to go ahead and change the battery?

( I know I need to fix the window but that's for another day )

Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason I know to drop them before a battery change is to stop you doing damage should you close the doors - there'll be no auto-drop/raise for the glass with no juice.

If it currently doesn't drop at all (not even a little?) then you're already running the risk of glass colliding with the door frame each time you close it. I'd just leave the doors open whilst your swapping it over and then be super careful closing them the first time after the swap. I'd probably do the window reset afterward too just beacuse it's dead easy and takes two ticks.

I wouldn't bother with putting the windows down, given you know you have a dead battery any damage that could of occurred would have already happened when you first tried to get in the car.

make sure you get a battery with handles though! as it makes everything so much easier.

i had three years of opening and closing my drivers door without the window dropping, never had any issues. replacing the battery was a doddle, disconnect old one, swap in new one, reconnect. job done, nothing else needed.

I did however have a problem getting the battery clamp back on again - in the end asked CS to do it for me when it was serviced.

Yeah I have to be very careful when closing my door at the moment. It's a massive pain tbh and I'm going to do something about it soon. Suppose it keeps me away from the drive through right enough 😂

Hopefully the motor just needs cleaned as I could do without having to spend more £ on the car.

Thanks for your help. Battery all changed and starting a treat now!

i had three years of opening and closing my drivers door without the window dropping, never had any issues. replacing the battery was a doddle, disconnect old one, swap in new one, reconnect. job done, nothing else needed.

I did however have a problem getting the battery clamp back on again - in the end asked CS to do it for me when it was serviced.

Did you ever take the door apart to see if the motor in the door could be recon'd? I do need to be careful when closing the door otherwise I get a horrible noise. Did you just close yours as normal? Could be yours jammed slightly lower than mine.

I never did anything with it... maybe I was lucky and it was jammed slightly lower than yours, I just opened and closed the door as normal! Once in a blue moon the window would drop when I opened the door, but most times it didn't. And occasionally it had a mind of its own and auto opened all the way down, then wouldn't come back up without a bang on the switch and a gentle tug on the glass.