Sluggish oil pressure on start up. Need some suggestions and thoughts.

HAMLNJ

Hi, since I have had my zed, intermittently the engine would knock slightly for a second or two on start up. I have discussed before and the verdict was my valves are probably slightly out of align and not worth worrying about for the age and mileage (114k, serviced 2k ago)

Now it's Every time I start the car and getting me worried. Only a couple of secs and doesn't tick or knock while driving. (Slowly or harsh.) The engine is strong and pulls well.

When starting the car I am keeping an eye on the oil pressure. When starting it up it seems the oil pressure takes a moment to fire into action. Taking a look at a friends zed (pimm junior) it fires up smooth and quickly . Mines not...

Here's a vid I took. Sorry for the non start at first. Just me not holding the ignition for long enough.

It's there an oil pump issue? The pressure is fine while diving. Connection issue? Oil too thick? I use 5/30 fully sync. You can hear the knock if you wear headphones.

Thanks for reading. Any help would be great!

Cheers

Ian

Just a thought....

With that mileage, as a starter you may find an engine flush (if one not done in recent times) might help to clear some of the inevitable sludge that is likely to have built up and my be the cause of slow re-acting guage and other areas of the engine not getting a fresh soaking of good quality oil.

If you use the car mainly for short trips that will have added to the sludge build-up but if you are getting around 60psi at 70mph and around 20psi at tickover when hot then that would suggest the pump is OK.

And make sure you use a quality engine oil (Mobil1 as an example) and filter rather than what comes off the shelf at Halfords etc.

• Like 1