Clutch Squeaking when Pressed

STRBramley

Hi All,

My clutch has made a noise for a few months now but it has become much more audible lately.

Below is the sound it makes when pushing it down a few times. My phone doesn't record sound very well so it's actually much louder than this.

Any ideas what could cause this? Maybe needs some oil or something more serious?

Sound File

Mine did this when I bought it, it hadn't done many miles so was perhaps a little under used for the age. A liberal dose of white lithium grease on the big spring on the back of the clutch pedal and then pumping the clutch up and down a good few times, several days on the bounce, made it disappear. Dirt cheap to buy, so worth a shot before replacing parts IMHO.

Mine did this when I bought it, it hadn't done many miles so was perhaps a little under used for the age. A liberal dose of white lithium grease on the big spring on the back of the clutch pedal and then pumping the clutch up and down a good few times, several days on the bounce, made it disappear. Dirt cheap to buy, so worth a shot before replacing parts IMHO.

I've read this is the usual fix but the sound seems to be coming from outside the car. Almost directly behind the pedal but on the outside. Could this still be the cause of the squeaking?

Edited by STRBramley

I've read this is the usual fix but the sound seems to be coming from outside the car. Almost directly behind the pedal but on the outside. Could this still be the cause of the squeaking?

Look under the car. There's the clutch arm under gear box that moves back and forth with the clutch being depressed and released. My sound is from there very loud. Clearly the bearing.

Look under the car. There's the clutch arm under gear box that moves back and forth with the clutch being depressed and released. My sound is from there very loud. Clearly the bearing.

Ok thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow. Will I need to remove the plastic cover to see the clutch arm moving?

Any ideas how much a new bearing will cost?

Impossible for me to tell from a noise alone, but thought it was worth a couple of quid as a first port of call. Good luck sorting, hope it's nice and simple.

Impossible for me to tell from a noise alone, but thought it was worth a couple of quid as a first port of call. Good luck sorting, hope it's nice and simple.

Cheers. I've ordered some from eBay and it should be here Friday so I'll post the results. Fingers crossed.

Well I found the culprit tonight after jacking the car up. It's a rod attached to the clutch going into the clutch housing.

I think I should be able to grease inside there once my grease arrives and hopefully that'll fix the issue.

post-22307-143457469669_thumb.jpg

Well I found the culprit tonight after jacking the car up. It's a rod attached to the clutch going into the clutch housing.

I think I should be able to grease inside there once my grease arrives and hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Same as what I said then??? Lol
  • Like 1

Same as what I said then??? Lol

Ah so it was :)

Sorry, I've read so many different threads over the last few days I forgot who said what. Do you think I'll need a new bearing?

Fixed the squeaking yesterday :) .

At first I put some copper grease around the joint but it was difficult to see where to apply it and it didn't seem to work. Although some people have suggested it takes a couple of hours of driving for the joints to grease up.

Anyway, I gave it a spray with WD40 and after a couple of pumps of the clutch the squeaking was gone and the clutch is now much lighter :) .

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll update after a few weeks of driving to see if the squeaking returns.

• 1 month later...

Where exactly did you spray? I'm having this exact issue and it's driving me insane!

Sorry I've only just seen this. There's a small rubber boot directly in the middle of the clutch housing underneath the car. You need to partially remove this and then spray the WD40 or grease directly up on to the metal joint. For me it was really dark and difficult to see anything but I sprayed the WD40 and after a few presses of the clutch the squeaking was gone.

Just to let everyone know the squeaking hasn't returned :)