Y Pipe with no flexis

dmg470

Hey guys,

Been running a japspeed Y pipe for around a year now and in the past few days it seems to be blowing from the flexi's. I've seen quite a few posts labelling the flexi's as a weak point area on the Y pipe and crack over time from the stress. I've noticed that the Stillen Y Pipe has no flexi's whatsoever. My question is, what or is there any implications in using a Y Pipe with no flexi's? I'm guessing probably not but I'd just like to clarify that with anyone who has any experience with a no flexi Y pipe as I'm thinking of having the flexi's removed and pipe fabricated in its place of all is well.

Cheers guys!

The flexi's are there to take up the movement between the rocking of the engine and the exhaust system (the rubber hangers won't take all of the stress). If you fit solid pipes throughout, eventually another part of the system will fatigue and split. There's a reason why every manufacturer now fits a flexible section in a stock exhaust.

Obviously a failed flexi section will still need replacing if it goes but it's there to protect the rest of the system. Ultimately it's your choice.

I had this same discussion with a friend over the weekend. This is all my opinion of course. The flexis are there to take up the movement under acceleration/deceleration etc, by taking that away it will just put extra stress on the exhaust elsewhere and will inevitably break. Go for the cheapest Y pipe with a 2 year guarantee!

ive just bought the stillen y pipe, did loads of research and heard nothing but good reviews, apart from that it pulls some exhausts out of alignment and causes them to catch but a bit of proper fitting and moving around can solve this most of the time.

The flexi subject is a mixed one to be honest, but if your buying a good exhaust I don't see how removing them would cause it to break at another part, the stillen being wider piping puts less strain on the system anyway as they air can flow more freely.