Creaking Rear Suspension

Mikey Thompson

After doing a search of the previous year of the forum to no avail, I have succumb to creating my first post about a problem.

I have noticed that whenever a pull onto the curb at home my rear suspension creaks. I presumed at first it was due to replacing my springs with the Teins and they were just settling. It has now been around 6 weeks or so since fitting and the noise is still there and I cannot for the life of me remember if it was doing it before fitting the springs either.

It has now gotten to the point where as I step out of my car and 'unload' the suspension it creaks and even does it when I push down on the rear arch (both sides). I also don't notice any noises over speed bumps under regular driving.

Is there any obvious fix for this? Is it the shocks or can I fix it somewhere else with a quick application of grease?

FYI my car is an '04 GT pack 350 with 40k on the clock

Thanks in advance!

After doing a search of the previous year of the forum to no avail, I have succumb to creating my first post about a problem.

I have noticed that whenever a pull onto the curb at home my rear suspension creaks. I presumed at first it was due to replacing my springs with the Teins and they were just settling. It has now been around 6 weeks or so since fitting and the noise is still there and I cannot for the life of me remember if it was doing it before fitting the springs either.

It has now gotten to the point where as I step out of my car and 'unload' the suspension it creaks and even does it when I push down on the rear arch (both sides). I also don't notice any noises over speed bumps under regular driving.

Is there any obvious fix for this? Is it the shocks or can I fix it somewhere else with a quick application of grease?

FYI my car is an '04 GT pack 350 with 40k on the clock

Thanks in advance!

I have read a similar thread on this and cant remember the answer, its a component not shocks or springs though. Possibly banana arms.

Since you lowered on Teins, as have I, I suspect the lower ride height has put more strain on the rear droplinks, as they are now slightly too long.

You could either regrease them as a temporary measure (lasts about a month before you need to crawl under the car again) or you can replace them with adjustable items.

Personally I did both, after I got fed up with crawling under the car every month, replaced the droplinks with Whiteline items, not a creak since.

IMG_3437_zps576e234b.jpg

IMG_3454_zpsdd904482.jpg

Following advice from here on these forums, the best way to setup the new adjustable droplinks is to find a garage with a four-post lift, install new items, then undo the locknuts, then turn the main adjuster untill the point of least resistance, then do up the lock nuts.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Since you lowered on Teins, as have I, I suspect the lower ride height has put more strain on the rear droplinks, as they are now slightly too long.

You could either regrease them as a temporary measure (lasts about a month before you need to crawl under the car again) or you can replace them with adjustable items.

Personally I did both, after I got fed up with crawling under the car every month, replaced the droplinks with Whiteline items, not a creak since.

Following advice from here on these forums, the best way to setup the new adjustable droplinks is to find a garage with a four-post lift, install new items, then undo the locknuts, then turn the main adjuster untill the point of least resistance, then do up the lock nuts.

Hope this helps

Just what I was looking for! thanks for the help! Look like a nice bit of kit if I'm honest.