Zed More Responsive After Battery Disconnected?

allaboutthepasty

Tried a quite a bit of searching on this forum and also various others but can't seem to find anything definitive, so sorry if this has been covered before... I just can't find it!

I recently replaced the Zed's window motor and prior to doing so disconnected the negative battery terminal, few pumps of the brake pedal etc. Reconnecting it back up a few hours later and taking it out the next morning, the car felt a lot more responsive, hard to describe but a bit more "lively" on the throttle, even just pottering around in 1st and 2nd getting out of the housing estate.

Thought it might have been me imagining things but a few days later, it seems back to normal, a little bit more "bogged down" and is noticeable. Although it's not a problem I've just wondered if there's something in it?

My driving style is usually granny-ish as I'm mainly commuting 10 miles each way to work, hardly get above 60 and don't take it above 3k until I'm pretty much there. This leads me onto snippets of info I've found about the ECU learning your driving style and setting itself accordingly?

Is my situation just that the ECU has adjusted itself to my style of not booting it everywhere and is there any way to overcome this and keep it nice and responsive all the time, as it is a lot better to drive that way?

I've been contemplating some HFC's and a plenum spacer followed by a tune up at RS in Leeds. If I went ahead, can they "hard tune" in the responsive throttle if that makes sense? I've also seen the D1 Spec Throttle Controller which presumably has the same effect?

Many thanks in advance!

I could be wrong, but from what I've read on here, after the battery is disconnected for a while the ECU is reset. It sorts itself over a short period after you start driving again. I don't believe it's related to your driving style. If you're going for an uprev the throttle response is usually sharpened up on the new map, and you'll have that all the time.

I would definitely recommend d1 throttle controller! I had my mapped with all the supporting mods, then supercharged and mapped again and then got d1 controller..you probably won't notice any difference straight away, but once you get used to it in sport mode and then turn it to normal mode - you will notice how much slower response is!

When I fitted mine - didn't notice any difference. Few weeks later, my mate jumped in the car and changed setting back to normal...I haven't noticed it and went for a drive and thought "what the hell is wrong with the car?...doesn't respond as it should and don't feel right" and then I looked at D1 screen and realised! Put it back to SP7 mode and happy days!

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

The ECU reset can make it feel more responsive, especially if the car has been run on 95 RON fuel and the ECU has adjusted for that. When reset, I think the ECU goes back to a base setting and keeps adjusting to a more conservative state until no more knock is sensed.

Cheers guys. I'll probably just go ahead with the mods and get the uprev done sometime in the future. Sounds like it may not have been in my head then.

The ECU reset can make it feel more responsive, especially if the car has been run on 95 RON fuel and the ECU has adjusted for that. When reset, I think the ECU goes back to a base setting and keeps adjusting to a more conservative state until no more knock is sensed.

95 RON? :surrender:

Nope never used it, I was also informed by the previous owner that it shouldn't be bought...