Red hot drivers side rear wheel

Hofner

Some advice needed for novice please, have 2004 nissan 350z jdm without bembo brakes. Drove 40 miles and noticed screetching from back wheel, then thought brakes were failing as pedal was very spongy and needed to be pushed full down to start any braking. Rear wheel was very hot and could feel heat from it about foot away. Called AA for a check, looked at pads and nearly worn to metal used tool to free calliper piston which has helped. When he he tried to spin the wheel it took a lot of force (without caliper on) which he didnt like and thought there could be somthing going on in the hub, has anyone expericenced this? And do i need a new caliper when pads are changed?

I suspect the jdm rear callipers are the sliding pin type?

If they are it will most likely be a sticky caliper, very common on Japanese cars with these types of brake.

It will need stripping, cleaning and greasing at a minimum. Potentially a service kit to get it tip top again. Not too difficult to do yourself.

You will have boiled your brake fluid too (hence the spongy pedal) so give that a flush/bleed with some fresh fluid while your at it.

I suspect the jdm rear callipers are the sliding pin type?

If they are it will most likely be a sticky caliper, very common on Japanese cars with these types of brake.

It will need stripping, cleaning and greasing at a minimum. Potentially a service kit to get it tip top again. Not too difficult to do yourself.

You will have boiled your brake fluid too (hence the spongy pedal) so give that a flush/bleed with some fresh fluid while your at it.

" When he he tried to spin the wheel it took a lot of force (without caliper on)" that made me think its not caliper related ? agree about the brake fluid boiled, probably discoloured

You have been given good advice from the guys in there replies.

I suggest that you at least act on some of it.

Caliper strip and free off and grease up, check hand brake shoes etc. new fluid and flush.

• Like 2

Caliper looked ok with no deterioration to seal, sorry to ask lots of questions, any ideas on lack of initial braking? Car rolls foward a bit when handbrake on too

possible fluid degraded and overheated worn pads, had a 350 and 370 and they both move forward slightly after the handbrake is applied