Rear camera and LCD installation - Help and guidance needed

veeg33

I've just purchased (EBay's specials) and received (from China) a reverse camera and 4.3" LCD monitor. The camera should slot into the rear number plate light (replacing the OEM) and the LCD should fit in the cubby (if my measurements are correct and advertised dimensions of the LCD is correct).

The plan is to run the cables through the middle (handbrake), it should be fun trying to disassemble and not break anything.

I've seen few members here did this mod before but wasn't clear hence raise few question below:

Questions:

1.) Do you feed the LCD with power from tapping on cigarette lighter from the front (LCD will be switched on whenever the engine is started up)? Or you feed it from tapping into the rear reverse light power (LCD only will be switched on when reverse gear being selected)? What are the Pros and Cons? Will I be able to tap out from 1 source and power up both the LCD and reverse camera at the same time as the reverse lights being switched on?

2.) If I'm running the power cable from rear to front, will the distance (length of the cable) matters? I'm assuming the longer the cable, the higher the resistance hence output will decrease and will be insufficient to power up the LCD.

I'm completely clueless on electronics but loved DIY and learn as I go.......

Thanks in advance

The reverse camera I installed, just hooked up to a double din head unit that allowed a video feed into it. So power was no issue from the front end, and to make it "switch" on, I spliced into the reverse light wire by the rear light cluster in the boot (light green wire I believe).

If I was you, I would run the wires from the camera down the passenger side of the vehicle, remove all boot plastics etc. There is a how to on here somewhere.. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56481-kenwood-ddx-4028bt-rear-cam-install-%E2%80%93-superguide/page__hl__+reverse%20+camera#entry985805

Then just hook the LCD monitor up per the instructions supplied I guess..?

• Like 2

The reverse camera I installed, just hooked up to a double din head unit that allowed a video feed into it. So power was no issue from the front end, and to make it "switch" on, I spliced into the reverse light wire by the rear light cluster in the boot (light green wire I believe).

If I was you, I would run the wires from the camera down the passenger side of the vehicle, remove all boot plastics etc. There is a how to on here somewhere.. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56481-kenwood-ddx-4028bt-rear-cam-install-%E2%80%93-superguide/page__hl__+reverse%20+camera#entry985805

Then just hook the LCD monitor up per the instructions supplied I guess..?

Thanks mate. I'll give it a go this Saturday and see how it goes. I'll power it by tapping into the rear light cluster and run the power cable together with the video cable to the front cubby. Will drill a hole in the cubby to feed the cables in and most probably not going to mount the LCD in as I guess it will sit in there pretty good and I will only open the cubby when I reverse (when in doubt, open cubby) B)