New massive giant test thread!

roscopervis

That's got your attention! It is a test thread but in no way is it going to or is it intended to match illogikal's beast. It isn't even on a Zed yet as that's being fixed as the radiator decided to spring a leak :( I don't get a waxy box, but I love a bargain.

Right my Seat Leon is the mule. You've heard the saying don't try and polish a turd? I just have! Nah, being serious, it's a good car and does the majority of my mileage so answers will be revealed quicker. The car has been foamed with Carchem foam, washed with Autoglym, decontaminated with a mixture of Bilt Hamber Korrosol and Turtlewax Ice Wheel Cleaner (cos I have loads which cost me £2 a bottle - works good enough), de-tarred with Tardis, clayed with my no name claycloth, washed again and polished with Meguiars Ultimate Compound using my Milwaukee AP12QE rotary polisher.

Onto the test - three LSP's - One classic - Collinite 915, a 'wax' that is really an old school hybrid with the most carnauba that Collinite do. I used to love this on my old Midnight Purple s14a 200sx. Collinite are the traditional old school durable wax. As you can see, I've had this a while! The next is one that I've tested last winter on the Zed and proved its worth - Sonax Polymer Netshield (PNS), this cost £12.95 for the can and will probably do about 5-6 cars I think. The final entrant is a new one I've got, Bilt Hamber's Double Speed Wax. I'm a fan of Bilt Hamber's product's - everything I've tried has been brilliant, in particular their Autofoam, Autowash, claybars, Autowheel and Korrosol. This new Double Speed wax has just won the AutoExpress best wax 2015 award. Normally not an award I'd pay attention to, but quite an interesting list actually. Also, their last wax, Finis is pretty much the most durable wax out there. Bilt Hamber have formulated this to have less Carnauba and be more sealanty in its design. They say that this should be more resistant to chemicals - ie frequent washing than Finis, but Finis would be more mechanically resistant - deal with weather better. Time will tell. This costs £15 for 250ml and the tub will do loads of cars

Here are the products - Double Speed Wax went on the left, PNS in the middle and Collinite on the right.

20150523_173759.jpg

This is them on the bonnet - the smudgy thing is a cloud:

20150523_174430.jpg

20150523_174422.jpg

In use, all products should be used thinly or sparingly. The 915 went on very nicely and buffed the smoothest. PNS is virtually invisible on the paint, especially on silver, but is the grabbiest on the buff, this is due to the way it is to work and helps produce the crazy water behaviour. The Double Speed Wax wasn't particularly easy or hard to use, not sure why the name applies really. However, it too is meant to have excellent water behaviour. One layer of each was applied and I will update following every wash ala illogikal.

On the car the products don't look any different - nada. Over time, I'm hoping to see if there is any difference in how clean they help keep the car and of course how long they last.

I've applied the Double Speed Wax to the rest of the car to see how it holds up in general too along with some Simoniz Wheel Protector - a spray on wheel sealant that is currently available for only £2.50 in Tesco.

Simoniz_Banner_11_L.jpg

It is meant to resist brake dust and also make the cleaning of the wheels easier. I'll update this too. If it works, could be a bargain!

• Like 2

So long as the Simoniz Wheel Protector doesn't react with the bake dust, it's won't be the worst wheel sealant ever. :lol:

Interested to see how Double Speed Wax gets on though, I've been resisting the urge to test this out myself so at the very least you've saved me a job. :thumbs:

Little update, the Zed is still being fixed as my new radiator has only just shown up so with a big space outside, onto the products - It has rained a couple of times this week and whilst all 3 products are great beaders, it is clear that both Double Speed Wax and PNS produce tighter beads. Also when driving, both are quicker to start to roll the beads up the bonnet, interestingly, both about as quick as each other, whereas the 915 is about 15mph slower and leaves more water behind.

I gave the car a quick wash today ready for its MOT on Monday. I snow foamed the car with Carchem and there was little difference with it running off the bonnet I think any difference is due to the road camber.

20150530_141317.jpg

Following pressure washing it off, this is what the beading looked like:

20150530_141938.jpg

The 915 side shows definitely bigger beads, whereas the other 2 are imperceptible. With the rinsing, they all cleared the water very quickly, but the 915 side did allow the water to pool a bit, the the jet hitting the bonnet and the beads created were caught together and joined into pools, whereas the other 2 ran off too quickly to coagulate.

Under the mitt, the 915 was more grabby than the other 2.

So far then after a week the PNS and Double Speed wax are acting identically, and 915 a bit different.

The Simoniz spray wheel sealant worked quite well in resisting brake dust, I would have expected more than this:

20150530_135544.jpg

The snow foam and jetwash didn't clean them completely but showed strong beading:

20150530_141949.jpg

After washing them with car shampoo and a wheel brush it cleaned easily but totally killed the beading:

20150530_144432.jpg

I suspect that that's it for the product, but will see what happens this week. I think the idea with this product is to help resist brake dust in between washes, perhaps for people who aren't so keen to wash their car.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...