Buying a car on a private plate - help!

I get mine from ebay for £10 a pair delivered. Much easier than messing about with passports/v5`s etc down halfrauds.

I'm sure you're aware, but for the benefit of the original poster make sure any plates you buy are legal and not show plates, which I'd guess the majority of those ebay plates are. To be legal number plates should have the BS number (BS AU 145d) and the name of the company who produced them stamped on and to produce them they need the V5 document.

You'd be unlucky to ever get pulled up on it, but all it would take would be for a busy body during MOT time. It'd be a pain to fall foul for the sake of an extra £10 for legal plates.

The ones I got were the normal MOT approved ones which indeed have the above details on it but good point, anyone buying does need to make sure they have those.

I've decided, if the seller isn't prepared to do things my way and sell me both the car and the plate, i'm not going to buy the car, since as soon as he puts the retention request through online, he wont have the correct documentation. And im not buying a car without the correct V5c present.

but it wont come to that, as he'd be mad to turn down £9000 cash for the sake of a £250 private plate. and if he is mad, I wouldn't want to buy a car from a madman.

besides, just seen there is a back up identical spec car from a dealer just come up for sale, so if sale number 1 falls through I have a back up car to look at the same day!

besides, just seen there is a back up identical spec car from a dealer just come up for sale, so if sale number 1 falls through I have a back up car to look at the same day!

I'd say there's a big bargaining tool right there! Can't wait to see this Beemer - whichever one you end up with! :thumbs: