Window motor fix - brush replacement

CrustyCrab

Hi all,

About 2 years ago I followed this guide when my passenger window packed up:

http://www.350z-uk.c...ic-windows-pdf/

I took the whole lot apart, cleaned the motor and greased the rails. It worked great for about a week then stopped again and since then I have used the 'smack the door near the handle' technique if I needed it to put it up or down.

I read that its the brushes that probably needed replacing and finally set about to get it sorted rather that forking out £125 for a new motor. I found these brushes for £1.98 delivered :) and they were good enough with a little bit of sanding to the correct length although I think that the wire tails really need to come out of the side, not the end of the brush.

http://pages.ebay.co...3266348&alt=web

There are plenty of how to's around (Can't add link for the good one I used but search for "The dreaded 350Z window winder motor issue strikes again") but this is very helpful to watch it being done:

The most difficult bit is the de-soldering but keep going long enough and you get there. Also the lower adjuster screw's for the regulator were a bit tricky to get off and got damaged so I had to make some new ones from a short length of threaded bar and some washers.

All in all though I'm really chuffed with the end result - a fully working window with short drop and everything :thumbs:

As the how to info that's already available is pretty good I haven't done another but I'm happy to help out any one who wants to attempt this themselves. Although it's fiddly it is relatively straight forward once you get going.

Cheers,

Crab

4x4x10mm which is about right

Although it was the tails that weren't perfect. Not quite long enough so I had to solder them onto the original tails instead of removing them entirely.

Also I think they should really come out the side like the oem ones. The one in the link come out the end if that makes sense?

• 3 weeks later...

Have had no problems with my windows until tonight, wound down my passenger window, couldn't get it to move??

When I got home, quick search of the forum, found this thread and the saw the 'smack the door by the handle' comment..

Gave it a try, window wound up first time.

Thanks CrustyCrab....saved all that taping a black bag over the window routine!!!!