Shocks and lowering springs

Daveyboy11

So I bought some Tein lowering springs, fitted them and all good! Then a few days after the front end started bouncing a lot, the shocks were also leaking so I knew they were shot. I can get some second hand low mileage OEM shocks from Zmanalex which is good but will they be okay? I spoke to a mechanic who said he can get me new shocks the make is KYB but I looked them up and had some bad reviews.

Tein springs state that the springs can be used with OEM shocks but just looking for some guidance really.

And I don't need the "you should have got coilovers" comments because that's not helpful right now. I know they are a better option but I didn't/don't have the money for that.

Thanks!

I run the tein springs and bilstein b6 shocks ...... A great combo IMO . I also have some low mileage (25k ) standard shocks if you want them that should be fine .

Cheers! I had a look at them, they're quite pricey! How much would you want for the standard shocks?

I just want to know if they will be okay as my standard ones blew but that may be because they had been on the car since new.

The problem as you found out, with fitting uprated springs to aged standard dampers is that they will often develop problems and leak, its always best to fit new or uprated dampers with uprated lowering springs, or better still, with a matched combination of springs and dampers.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

I run the tein springs and bilstein b6 shocks ...... A great combo IMO . I also have some low mileage (25k ) standard shocks if you want them that should be fine .

Cheers! I had a look at them, they're quite pricey! How much would you want for the standard shocks?

I just want to know if they will be okay as my standard ones blew but that may be because they had been on the car since new.

Ya the bilsteins are quite pricey but well worth it IMO .

Not sure what they are worth to be honest ?

I ran the tein springs on my standard shock for about 1k so I know that they are good with no leaks ....

I'm going to japfes so can bring them if that helps

So perhaps best to get the new KYB ones? Has anyone had experience with them I did a search and only saw people complaining on then American forum.

I'm not going to japfest unfortunately but if I do go down that route would you be able to deliver them? Failing that I live in hertfordshire if that's close to you?

Ya the bilsteins are quite pricey but well worth it IMO .

Not sure what they are worth to be honest ?

I ran the tein springs on my standard shock for about 1k so I know that they are good with no leaks ....

I'm going to japfes so can bring them if that helps

I really want to go with a good set of coils but just don't want to spend the money to find out is not much difference

Did you see much difference with your set up josh

Yes nick , it's a great road set up . It's not crashy over bumps and easy to live with as its only lowered about 15mm

I say all this ....... But my eyes still wonder and start looking at coilovers , at the moment I have resisted ! I do feel the car would probably handle better with a good quality set of coilover ( kw /bilstein/eibach ) but at what cost to road comfort ?

You have arb same as me and I might put them on to their hard settings to see if this improves the body roll even more ....

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Yes nick , it's a great road set up . It's not crashy over bumps and easy to live with as its only lowered about 15mm

I say all this ....... But my eyes still wonder and start looking at coilovers , at the moment I have resisted ! I do feel the car would probably handle better with a good quality set of coilover ( kw /bilstein/eibach ) but at what cost to road comfort ?

You have arb same as me and I might put them on to their hard settings to see if this improves the body roll even more ....

yeah good point mine handles nice now with those on cranking those up a notch might help