Fault code P1273 with info

roscopervis

This fault code has just shown up on my car so I've interrogated Torque and the following info has been given:

Fuel Status = 0 byte

Engine Load = 14.902 %

Engine Coolant Temperature = 84 °C

Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = -11.719 %

Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = 8.594 %

Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term = -1.562 %

Fuel Trim Bank 2 Long Term = -5.469 %

Engine RPM = 1,712.5 rpm

Speed (OBD) = 23.488 mph

As you can see, quite a big difference between the two banks. Now before I start investigating, do those figures scream a particular issue that is obvious or will I need to look for leaks or check the fuel pump systematically?

Have you added a plenum spacer?

>>P1273 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1

I had P1273 on mine after adding a plenum spacer and found it was leaking very slightly right at the front - you'll need to take your engine cover off and may even need to lift your plenum off and you (may) see where the gasket seal had allowed it to blow. (This was my issue, anway)

Not sure if your fault is the same as mine but I found I needed to re-seal around the plenum (and spacer) about every 6 months or so Had to do both sides of the spacer but got pretty slick at this and it took only about an hour. New seals, and fine for another 6 months, when engine light came on I read the code and P1273 meant I had to re-seal it!)

The air mix was obviously not quite right with the gasket not being 100% seal - but it didn't cause any other problems. Mine was usually at 75 mph on a warm engine so tended to be on motorways after 45 mins of travelling

You can get handheld code readers and can clear the fault (mine was about £16.95 iirc) but you need to confirm that nothing more serious is involved (I swapped MAF sensor and a whole slew of other things before I found the leak in the plenum seal)

Edited by ianphampton

Your Long term fuel trims do look a bit too distant from one bank to the next. How is it driving? any flat spots or hesitation?

If you can't find any air/vacuum leaks, have you tried pressurising the whole inlet to about 10psi and leak testing?

I would first try swapping the O2 sensors over from bank 1 to 2 i.e left to right, resetting the codes/ trims and see how it goes. If the fault moves to bank 2, then its the sensor. If it comes back on 1 then you know there is another issue.

I would then pull the spark plugs for a look. With the trims as they are you may see signs of a rich or lean cylinder. This will help where to look next, could be a faulty injector etc..

Have a look through here, where I fault found a faulty injector for some ideas http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/78240-running-lumpy-no-eml-all-sorted/page__hl__lean#entry1177406

• Like 1

That's great, very helpful, thanks. The car is actually running great, no issues I can feel, Torque says that apart from that error code it is pulling well and making the right kind of power and the butt dyno backs it up.

Swapping the O2 sensors is the next thing to try.