4 weeks in....owners review

NWZ

OK so 4 weeks in and thought I'd do a quick mini review of what I think of the 370z. Here's an opinion from a proper owner not a car mag. Some of my comparison is comparing against my old 350z, now bearing in mind it's been 5 years since I had my 350z.

Firstly, my 370z is my daily. At the moment I'm doing a colossal journey - 250 miles each way from home to work once a week, some might say mad, but I bought an older 370z to justify the petrol and I wanted to feel alive again. I tend to do a lot of miles, my old 350z I put 85k on it....

The good.

1) So fuel economy is excellent for my journeys. I'm running on vpower nitro, the display says my average is 24mpg but my range is much better than that. According to the display when I fill up it says 340miles. Now I do my 250mile journey and the display still says 150 miles. So I make that 400 miles to a tank which is excellent considering the engine. The economy is far better than the 350z, unless the 370z has a bigger tank who knows. And I don't hang around either, some of my roads are M54 - A5 so if you know those sprints and roundabouts then you get what I'm on about.

2) Car's running on Bridgestones and I think they're pretty good tbh. The traction light coming on at 60mph+ is a bit of an interesting one though! And the ESP is nowhere near as intrusive as the 350z, it just sort of works in the background whereas the 350z cut's the power and just makes you feel as if your going to lose even more traction, that's what I thought anyway. Nose levels are what they are tbh, no worse than the 350.

3) I think the Bose is fantastic!

4) Love the keyless, start stop, just brilliant when you jump in from filling up, press the button and off you go.

5) Think the colour coordination of the dials at night is bang on the money, the ambient light is also a nice touch. So yes, loving the interior finish.

6) Love the revving to 7.5k, I find the power more accessible than the 350z and seemed hit the rev limiter on the 350z whereas in the 370z I haven't hit it once. But....now I'm getting used to the power I don't think it feels any faster than the 350 if I'm honest.

7) I think the engine noise is epic, OK the exhaust is pretty quiet. But when the car is cold in a multi storey and you start up and it gives a cheeky roar is grin worthy.

8) Tyre size is also better stock like for like comparing to my 350z, it gives the car so much more presence especially from the rear comparing the 275's against the 245's.

9) Love the fact the seats are half leather - big win! I hate full leather seats in the winter even with heated seats which take 10 minutes to warm up.

10) Those 19" rays are also epic in real world, I didn't realise how much I'd like them and easy to clean as well.

The niggles.

1) Drivers seat, now it's either me getting old but after 2 hours of driving I get a pain in my right leg and have to stop for a rest. Royal PITA I know, but let's see if I can sort this out. I've tried a few different driving positions, I find raising the seat base helps a lot. This is my only big gripe, I just wish Nissan put better seats in with more under knee support like BMW & Audi do, the seat base just feels too short for me. If you have long legs then you'll probably agree. I also think the side leg bolsters are too thin, you can feel the plastic on the seat base.

2) The satnav is absolutely crap, shame really as the music box and usb integration is excellent. Even the bluetooth is brilliant but the lack of being proactive with traffic just sucks. Looks like I'll be running tomtom again on my iPhone. I read in the owners manual that the nav gets it traffic from rds which probably explains why the traffic updates aren't as good as realtime from tomtom.

3) Think the xenons are pretty rubbish, they are OK when driving at normal speeds. But dangerous on a spirited drive at night on a bypass as you can only see so far with them.

4) Autowipers are a bit erratic. I'd wish Nissan didn't bother and spend more money on the seats tbh.

5) I'm OK about the boot cover but it sits too far back so you don't have anywhere to put your coat when you get in the car like the old 350z had behind you.

6) And, storage is minimal. Why couldn't Nissan install another cubbie behind the passenger seat! A handful of cd's and a cloth and the front glovebox is full!

So a few bad points but being a brit we'll always find fault with something. But what I absolutely love is the rareness, road presence and the car really does make you feel like a hero. Mine is a 2010 model and the previous owner has been a legend in looking after it, it doesn't feel 5 years old at all. Put it this way, my best mate summed it up "a lot of car for the money".....

• Like 1

you are bang on the money and I agree with pretty much all of your points, except 2

Which sat nav do you have, the connect premium or the older one, I find the connect premium brilliant, very intuitive, perfect voice recognition and easy to use both in the UK and abroad.

Lights on my zed are pretty dam good too. Other than that, yup totally agree and good review.

you are bang on the money and I agree with pretty much all of your points, except 2

Which sat nav do you have, the connect premium or the older one, I find the connect premium brilliant, very intuitive, perfect voice recognition and easy to use both in the UK and abroad.

Lights on my zed are pretty dam good too. Other than that, yup totally agree and good review.

I agree, Sat Nav is great, and not noticed a problem with the lights.

Biggest niggle for me is the hill start assist. Living on a hill, and having to turn on it every day is a real pain. Wish there was a nice switch to turn it off.

I've got connect premium, it's stupid! I was on a bypass near Cheltenham on Thursday and it asked me to come off the slip lane, then get back on the bypass, now whether it was a new piece of road is beyond me, and also too many times it's asking me to get off the A34 and go dogging or something lol!!!!!

And last week I went to see a mate and it sent me a completely different way there & back - utter crap!

Re: xenons, I've just come from a Saab 9-3 TTID which had amazing bi-xenons so having that car for 4 years and now changing to the 370z being lower is probably not a good example, but still I don't think the range is that good on the 370.

Edited by NWZ

Interesting- but how odd to write so much about a supposed 'sports car' and write next to nothing about the drive!

Brilliant cars to drive and much more grippy and firm at the front end than the 350z.

Glad to see you enjoying it though :)

Edited by Siman350z