Time For New Tools - Advice Needed

alexwitham

OK so I'm looking at 2 new items to add to my inventory of DIY tools for my mancave.

Firstly, an Impact Wrench/Rattle Gun/Impact Gun (known by a few names), I know these can come in at least 3 different forms - Cordless, corded or air compressor powered. Now, I am happy to go with either of these options, I want to know which one is your preferance for DIY jobs, I'm not a mechanic by trade so this will only see light use, Any advice here?

Secondly, in the event the advice for the impact gun is to go with the compressor route, which compressor should I be looking for?

I have a modest budget set aside, I do not need the snap on high premium kit, mid range quality/value is what I am after.

Many thanks,

I would go the compressor route, as you can far more tools to use with it. Any impact guns should state the pressue required to function, so get a compressor accordingly. I have an 8gal one which seems to do most things . . although some tools run out of puff quicker than others so you have to wait for it to charge again.

Also if your not in a rush, just wait for compressor or tools to come on offer, sometimes you can pick up a bargain.

I decided to get a corded electric one earlier this year.

I had wanted to go down the compressor route, but the space they take up, and more importantly for my budget, i couldnt get an impact wrench and compressor.

The cheapest corded one you can get in the UK is a Clarke CEW1000 at about £70, however whilst trawling eBay i found a 'Timbertech' impact wrench from Germany with a european plug. I bought it for £44 incl delivery and it included a UK adapter too.

I've used it a number of times over the last few months, and it's paid for itself already. VERY handy.

Sadly unavailable on Amazon now, and none on eBay either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timbertech%C2%AE-ESSR01-Impact-Screwdriver-Carry/dp/B0036DVXXG

Edited by marzman