Brakes sticking and making grating noise

twobears

I'm a complete dunce when it comes to anything about cars so please don't laugh if this is a stupid question but can anyone please advise me regarding the brakes on my Fiesta ST3? I left it standing outside for a couple of weeks whilst I've been away and the brakes seem to have seized up. When I got in it this morning and reversed up the drive it made a loud grating noise and seemed almost 'lumpy' to drive. I thought I might have a flat tyre but when I got out they were all fine. I drove slowly along the lane and the noise gradually lessened. I tried the brakes a few times and they seemed to work but were noisy. I carried on driving slowly for a few miles and the problem seemed to disappear but should I be doing something about it other than maybe not leaving the handbrake on?

Like I said, I know nothing about cars so feel free to roll your eyes and move swiftly on but any advice would be gratefully received as always :)

Just the discs rusting over with no use. Your description about the the problem going away confirms. Just drive it for a few miles and all will be fine :thumbs:

Whenever I wash my cars I take them for a short run to dry off the discs and if leaving the car for some while do not apply the handbrake - just leave it in gear (or park if auto) ;)

• Like 1