Underwell foot lighting

jayrishi

Hey guys,

Looking to install some LED lights under the footwell. Before I start I was hoping someone could help with a guide or something. Basically I want the lights to come on/off when the door opens and close then I want a switch in the car to manually on and off the light.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Tap into the courtesy light circuit. You'd need to look at the wiring diagram to find out which wires they are.

Just be carefull ! Disconnect the battery and don't over-do the LED's. If you overload that circuit which is easy to do, you will fry part of your BCM which is bad news.

Would be better advised to use the 12v cig lighter power with a relay connected to the courtesy light circuit to do the switching on and off.

• Like 2

Tap into the courtesy light circuit. You'd need to look at the wiring diagram to find out which wires they are.

I've done this in the past- led's are very low current and voltage (much lower than interior lighting) so tapping into this would be fine. Then they come off and on with the interior lights, run the wires from the lights around the door frame to the footwell.

Yeah you'd have to be running hundreds of leds to overload the circuit!

I know that, was just stating the obvious. The real issue is its easy to cause a short circuit which will do the same thing. Believe me its far too easy to do, ive done it on another car and other members have done it on here.

If you don't know what you're doing with auto electrics, probably best to leave them alone, before you cause a fire!

Oh, I know what im doing. I'm an IT network engineer by trade which believe me is a million times more complex than a simple wiring loom. I have installed several sound systems into cars (back in the day when such things were cool) with proper wiring and correct termination blocks. Installed multiple stereos, some with and some without wiring harness adaptors after previous owners totally butchered the loom which I fixed, done numerous LED jobs including foot well, external door handle, interior vent and under body lighting. On the zed alone I have added a CCTV system with ignition detection and due to how its wired will record for a while after engine switch off, tracker systems (GPS and triangulation using the GSM network), in car charging by extending and modifying the cig lighter circuit to make it all look OEM,BOSE AUX mod, plus handed out plenty of electrical advice on here regarding the addition of DRL's and other things such as LED's which I both offered for sale and made for about 8 months, and I could go on.

FYI it was a simple case of holding a few wires, leant to get some insulation tape and dropped the wire which shorted them and blew the dimming lights feature on my Celica as its controlled by the BCM module.

Edited by cs2000