Slight stutter

thedon

Looking for a bit of advice please ...

When I prod the throttle there's a very slight stutter in the uptake of the revs.

I can also feel a slight misfire at idle when my hand's resting on the gear knob - nothing apparent from the rev counter or the sounds of the engine. There's a very fine vibration through the steering wheel - it feels almost like a fizzing.

I'm guessing spark plugs or coil packs.. does that sound plausible?

The rear lambda sensors were changed last week and they came out very sooty - not sure if that could be related?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Spark plugs is a good place to start, then coil packs and a throttle body clean won't hurt - follow the guides especially if it is an HR!

After that you really need the right software for a diagnosis - could be anything from a faulty sensor to and intermittent coil pack fault.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Many thanks for the speedy replies :teeth:.

It's a DE engine (2004) and no OBD2 faults are coming up (not since the lambda sensors were changed).

I've just seen another thread someone advising to note the coil pack numbers when changing spark plugs - are coil packs not interchangeable? I swapped one on cyl3 a few months back but no mention of it being for a specific cylinder - could that be it?

Grundy225 - good shout, but the exhaust is OK, the Y pipe was full of rust but I replaced it a few weeks ago.