Best headunit for the money

Andy350z

Hello,

I have a 350z with the BOSE head unit and amplifier. The CD player doesn't and never has worked, I'm getting sick of only having the radio and want to move the car into the modern age with either (or a combination of) AUX/USB/BLUETOOTH.

I was originally looking at the new Pioneer Appradio but have been advised by my local car audio place that because I have an Android phone I would also need to purchase a lead for around £70 to get the full usage of the unit.... And at just over £300 that's just crazy. Can anyone confirm this?

The other thing is, I need the fitting kit at approx £70 and also labour (I'm not technical AT ALL) of around £75-100... All in all if I want the AppRadio I'm looking at around £570. Just to listen to my own music in the car.

That seems crazy!

Whats my way around this? I don't want a crappy head unit that makes the dashboard look tacky, which was a big plus for appradio as it's a very clean and not shouty head unit.

At the same time I don't want to break the bank.

If it helps I'm located in Bradford.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Zedd.

I've been thinking of an android head unit for ages. Got a few questions, Dont know if you can answer this.

Primarily because Google Maps is the dogs danglies, Last FM integration and google Music which I use for all my audio.

Did you have the bose unit before this? Whats the audio like on it? I find the bose... Not that great, Not that crisp.

Do you have this hooked up to ODB?

Have you tried Google Music?

Google Maps?

Do you have reversing sensors? (My first car with them and I quite like them!)

You could just add an aux cable to the OEM head unit. It takes around an hour to do, just search for bose hack. Costs about a quid!

If you want apps etc then you can just strap a mini tablet to the cubby hole with a thick piece of elastic. Costs about 50p.

Check my build thread for an example (link in signiture)

Hi Zedd.

I've been thinking of an android head unit for ages. Got a few questions, Dont know if you can answer this.

Primarily because Google Maps is the dogs danglies, Last FM integration and google Music which I use for all my audio.

Did you have the bose unit before this? Whats the audio like on it? I find the bose... Not that great, Not that crisp.

Do you have this hooked up to ODB?

Have you tried Google Music?

Google Maps?

Do you have reversing sensors? (My first car with them and I quite like them!)

I had the bose unit before, changed it because the cd player was broken! Havent tried Google Maps yet, to use it ill probably need to get a 3g dongle? But it has an app called I Go on it which you can pin point wherever you want to go. Its got all the connections for reversing cameras ect on it and you can pretty much download whatever app you want. Im still sort of getting to grips with it at the moment, so im probably not very helpful lol but I would recommend this unit as it can do alot of stuff! And its not the most expensive one out there, I did have to get a wiring kit though, that was about 30 quid. :)

I recently got my Zed and, handily, this thread is here answering my questions for me.

I did have to get a wiring kit though, that was about 30 quid. :)

So did you only need the steering control kit? Does a head unit like that fit without a fascia kit or anything? If so that's a bonus, but I would imagine I'd need the aerial adapter too. Edited by RavenDW

I was initially looking to get one of the cheaper head units (around £150), but now I'm thinking of spending £200+ (which I know is still not a huge amount) to get one of the Android HUs. The customization and update options available on Android are swaying me that way.

• 3 months later...