Wheel Help Needed

Piranha

Hi All

Its possible I am going to need to buy some new wheels for the V35 Skyline, although same set up pretty much as a Z.

My current wheels are both 9.5J on Front & Rear, running staggered tyres 245/40/19 rear, 225/40/19 front.

I am planning to use same tyres as they are almost new.

For the V35 the original Coupe Base came with either 17" wheels or 18" in 2005 they upgraded to 19" wheels I believe the set up was also staggered with 8.5J front & 9.5j rear.

As you can see this is all getting a bit messy, so I wondered if anyone could tell me which wheels I could buy that are designed for the Z and will basically be plug in and play scenario.

Thanks

Edited by Piranha

I thought that the OEM wheels were 8.0x19 ET30 on the front and 8.5x19 ET33 on the rear running the same size tyres as you've got.

Keeping the tyres you have I would think you could go up to an inch wider than OEM without too much stretch, although you say you're already wider than that on the front now. I suppose it depends why you're changing your wheels, what look you're going for and whether you're considering lowering or going for wider tyres next time.

Whats wrong with the wheels that are currently on there?

Basically cars stranded at the garage at the moment, I bought the car last year when new tyres had already been fitted, whoever fitted tyres and refitted the wheels used short stubby wheel nuts which have been forced deep into the rim and have buried themselves into the alloy itself.

They have tried everything to get them out but some still remain as there is no purchase on the nuts which are all rounded off. Proper aftermarket bolts should have been fitted so looks like they may have to be drilled/cut out.

The garage will try to save the alloys which I can then refurbish but it may come down to putting on new ones.

At least they will be black then :)

I thought that the OEM wheels were 8.0x19 ET30 on the front and 8.5x19 ET33 on the rear running the same size tyres as you've got.

Keeping the tyres you have I would think you could go up to an inch wider than OEM without too much stretch, although you say you're already wider than that on the front now. I suppose it depends why you're changing your wheels, what look you're going for and whether you're considering lowering or going for wider tyres next time.

Thanks ive been off doing some research and you are correct on the wheel sizes.

I added above why I may have to change.

I'm happy with the oem tyre size and wouldn't want to go up much more than one tyre width in the future (maybe 255/40r & 235/40f).

I will be looking for black wheels with not to many spokes, I'm now starting to look at brands and designs.

I may lower in the future but not aggressively, I wont be going the coil over route.

Basically cars stranded at the garage at the moment, I bought the car last year when new tyres had already been fitted, whoever fitted tyres and refitted the wheels used short stubby wheel nuts which have been forced deep into the rim and have buried themselves into the alloy itself.

They have tried everything to get them out but some still remain as there is no purchase on the nuts which are all rounded off. Proper aftermarket bolts should have been fitted so looks like they may have to be drilled/cut out.

The garage will try to save the alloys which I can then refurbish but it may come down to putting on new ones.

Oh wow! Not good news at all!

I wouldn't like to tell you what WILL fit because I'm not familiar with the G's, but on a 350 the perfect set-up is regarded as 9.5x19 front and 10.5x19 rear both with an offset of +20 :thumbs:

• Like 1

Oh wow! Not good news at all!

I wouldn't like to tell you what WILL fit because I'm not familiar with the G's, but on a 350 the perfect set-up is regarded as 9.5x19 front and 10.5x19 rear both with an offset of +20 :thumbs:

Thanks, the current front are 9.5 as are the rears so increasing to 10.5 on the rear sounds doable, fingers crossed they can save them, but rather than sit around, thought I would start to research replacing them to the staggered set up.

To continue running 225 front and 245 rear, the maximum rim width would be 9" front, 9.5" rear. thats an inch wider than the standard 350z wheels, which run a 225 front 245 rear.

if you want to run a 10.5" rear you'd really need to step up to a 275, unless you like lots of stretch.

if you're looking for black wheels with not too many spokes it sounds like you'd be looking at Rota or Japan Racing Wheels as a starting point.

• Like 1

To continue running 225 front and 245 rear, the maximum rim width would be 9" front, 9.5" rear. thats an inch wider than the standard 350z wheels, which run a 225 front 245 rear.

if you want to run a 10.5" rear you'd really need to step up to a 275, unless you like lots of stretch.

if you're looking for black wheels with not too many spokes it sounds like you'd be looking at Rota or Japan Racing Wheels as a starting point.

Thanks thats really helpful , are there any good reliable websites selling these wheels, I will do a Google search as well.

If it was me I think I'd be looking for 8.5" (or possibly 9.0") for the front and 9.5" for the rear, both with a low 20s offset. That way you can fit your existing tyres without stretch and still have the option of the more popular 245/35 front, 275/35 rear tyres at a later date. Would also look good whether lowered or not. :thumbs:

• Like 1

If it was me I think I'd be looking for 8.5" (or possibly 9.0") for the front and 9.5" for the rear, both with a low 20s offset. That way you can fit your existing tyres without stretch and still have the option of the more popular 245/35 front, 275/35 rear tyres at a later date. Would also look good whether lowered or not. :thumbs:

Thanks, yes I'm thinking 9.0" front and 9.5" for rear because that differential keeps in line with original 8.0" front & 8.5" rear and as you say leaves me room to change Tyre set up in future.

Thanks, yes I'm thinking 9.0" front and 9.5" for rear because that differential keeps in line with original 8.0" front & 8.5" rear and as you say leaves me room to change Tyre set up in future.

Don't forget that the original differential was 0.5" for a tyre width difference of 20mm or just over ¾". Whereas with the wider 245/35 with 275/35 tyre option the difference front to rear is 30mm which is not far off 1¼", that's why most people chose a wheel width difference of 1".

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, wow these wheel set ups are so confusing. I'm used to my old Subaru lol.

Anyway good news they've managed to get the wheel of with no major damage by inserting some welding wire into the socket which gave enough grip to get em off.