Hissing noise. . .

tmJak

Hi all,

My Z is a new toy for me and I don't have any past experience with them. This may just be a sound that a Z makes normally. When I fire the engine up, I can hear a hissing noise or like the sound a CD makes in a CD player minus the music. From the driver's seat it sounds as if it's coming from the rear nearside of the car. I can't hear it when driving as the road noise (and 6000rpm) blcoks it out. When I've listeneed outside the car, I think I can hear it where the rear axle would be on the nearside.

Any ideas or am I just being paranoid?

It doesn't really get louder. After listening all over, it seems that the sound is loudest when I'm listening to the centre of the rear wheels on both sides, which I would assume meant the rear axle is making the noise?

My knowledge of the mechanics of cars is very limited and naive, but would I be right in thinking that the rear axle turns as soon as the engine is on, and you choose a gear to engage it? If so, should it be making a noise like this?

but would I be right in thinking that the rear axle turns as soon as the engine is on, and you choose a gear to engage it?

No that does not happen :lol:

Doh! Thought I was being clever :blush:

Is there anything near the rear axle that does revolve or would explain the sound I'm hearing when the car is in neutral then smarty pants?

but would I be right in thinking that the rear axle turns as soon as the engine is on, and you choose a gear to engage it?

No that does not happen :lol:

Doh! Thought I was being clever :blush:

Is there anything near the rear axle that does revolve or would explain the sound I'm hearing when the car is in neutral then smarty pants?

No nothing should be revolving when it is in neutral apart from the petrol pump. :thumbs:

Three possible solutions.

1. Get a loud exhaust.

2. Turn the stereo up.

3. Ignore it as its the fuel pump.

I guess its three as mine does it as well if I drive REAL carefully (It allows me to hear above 1 and not listen to 2.)

Get out and liberate those horses!

Ming the Bored (Its raining and Mrs Ming is out playing poker in a big tournament)

its unlikely due to the mileage on your car but if the fuel filter is full o crap this would stress the fuel pump and make it louder, if you get chance compare it with another Z and put your mind at rest

if its ok then its just paranoia, 4 wks of therapy should sort that :stretcher:

Concur with the fuel pump as the culprit. Try turning the ignition on but not starting the engine. For a second or two you should hear the noise as the fuel system pressurizes, and then it will stop. If that's what happens, you're definitely hearing the fuel pump. Try listening to a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump -- that's a really noisy little sucker. :D

My 55 zed makes the same noise,most noticeable when idling after a run.I first described it as like an aerosol can being continually discharged,but now it is more of an intermittent whirring noise and almost definitely coming from the fuel pump.Does the rev counter needle stay constant when idling or does it hunt up and down slightly,mine has that problem and i think it could be related to the fuel pump.

Again, thanks all. I got a 1 month warranty when I got the car so want to identify any potential problems within that time. Guess I should just be satisfied that the car is fine.

Anyway, I'll take your advice and drown out the noise with high revs and loud music :teeth:

Hi all,

My Z is a new toy for me and I don't have any past experience with them. This may just be a sound that a Z makes normally. When I fire the engine up, I can hear a hissing noise or like the sound a CD makes in a CD player minus the music. From the driver's seat it sounds as if it's coming from the rear nearside of the car. I can't hear it when driving as the road noise (and 6000rpm) blcoks it out. When I've listeneed outside the car, I think I can hear it where the rear axle would be on the nearside.

Stick your ear next to one of the front speakers with ignition on, headunit off......

You have BOSE? If so, it's called floor noise and is due to the amp turning itself on whenever the ignition is on, even if the head unit isn't on. All of them do it, and it depends how good your hearing is as to whether you pick it up. It bugs the heck out of me but I want to have the install done properly so have an induction kit to keep me smiling! :thumbs:

Hi all,

Stick your ear next to one of the front speakers with ignition on, headunit off......

You have BOSE? If so, it's called floor noise and is due to the amp turning itself on whenever the ignition is on, even if the head unit isn't on. All of them do it, and it depends how good your hearing is as to whether you pick it up. It bugs the heck out of me but I want to have the install done properly so have an induction kit to keep me smiling! :thumbs:

I think this is something to do with the hands free car kit isn't it? That's why the amp is always powered up. The hissing is just white noise generated by the amp. Not sure if there's anything that can be done to solve it, apart from playing a CD that is...

Hi all,

I think this is something to do with the hands free car kit isn't it? That's why the amp is always powered up. The hissing is just white noise generated by the amp. Not sure if there's anything that can be done to solve it, apart from playing a CD that is...

May well be, but either way it is always on. Highlights two things - poor quality amp and poor quality grounding.....

It is still there when playing the CD, it just gets interrupted by the music. :)

Confirmed H5 - the amp is always on when the ignition is on so the handsfree can still work. That's defo the source of your hissing.

That sounds favorite. As long as it's not some mechanical problem I don't mind it at all. I don't spend too long in idle. . .

I just took it to the guys at TDi North for an oil change to synthetic. The mechanic there had a listen to the noise (and a few other noises I was paranoid about) and said it's nothing to worry about. He did however find a noise that I hadn't heard which is probably a loose ballbearing in the clutch :rant: That'll teach me to stop being paranoid, when you look for problems you always find them :headhurt: