Range Rover

James350z

Im looking for a range rover for about 20k. Is there anyone on here that can point me in the right direction? I have looked on pistonheads but im a bit worried about possible problems i may get buying a 02/03 car.

Thanks

James

Oh and i am keeping the Z!! :D

TBH all Ive ever heard about these cars are good things. If it was a freelander pre 2005 then youd get the usual gasket problems but the rangerover is a different league. Service aint cheap but if you get the 3.0 TD6 Vogue, which I think are out on 2003 youll be on to a winner as fuel consumption is pretty good :thumbs:

If I got one Id be tempted to Kharnerise it:

http://www.projectkahnrangerover.com/index.html

although this is 06 :wub:

Im looking for a range rover for about 20k. Is there anyone on here that can point me in the right direction? I have looked on pistonheads but im a bit worried about possible problems i may get buying a 02/03 car.

Thanks

James

We've got an 04 Td6 Vogue. As you probably know a lot of the car is BMW so should prove to be pretty reliable. Well at least over the previous model. All electrics, ICE and Sat Nav etc. seem to be BMW as is the engine. The air suspension can be an issue but has been around for a while from the previous model so should be OK. Also think about servicing using specialst companies and not main dealers.

As for buying, try the usual Autotrader etc. Pistonheads is a reasonable place to look too. Also eBay but I'd recommend vieing first.

Good luck. You'll love it when you find one. Lot's of character and soooo big.

TBH all Ive ever heard about these cars are good things. If it was a freelander pre 2005 then youd get the usual gasket problems but the rangerover is a different league. Service aint cheap but if you get the 3.0 TD6 Vogue, which I think are out on 2003 youll be on to a winner as fuel consumption is pretty good :thumbs:

BTW fuel comsumption isn't good. We average 18 mpg most of the time, which is slow driving. On a mix run 22-23 mpg. It weights 2.6 tonne so you could say good considering.

BTW fuel comsumption isn't good. We average 18 mpg most of the time, which is slow driving. On a mix run 22-23 mpg. It weights 2.6 tonne so you could say good considering.

Sorry meant to say good considering its size, but compared to a car yeh its not going to be :blush:

Thanks

James

Funny you should raise this issue... I'm thinking of same but swopping the Impreza for 1, fancy doing some touring next year and use it as a work horse.

Spoke to the Local stealer as I was after something early to mid 20's He said come up at the weekend, as he had a 06 TD V6 with 34k miles for £30k.. over my budget but thought it was good for a look, wouldn't take us out in it but said he would get one we could drive.

Up turns a 56 reg in silver with a bloke to sit in while we drove, he said similar to the other one but this is a Vogue SE not an HSE!.....just a few more bits inside! anyway it was great to drive and pretty quick for a diesel and for a barge wasn't too bad round corners. Got back to showroom and sales guy was just 2 busy to talk got fed up with hanging around and left.

Did a bit of internet research on the two cars when I got home only to find that the one we drove, not only was it a higher spec and 6months newer, but it was also the V8 diesel and on their site for £68K :scare: Now how anyone is to make a true comparason is beyond me. Must say it was pretty good but not 68K good!!

My tip is get a Vogue whatever, preferably the Td6, (3.0d BMW engine). The Vogue spec is vastly better than an HSE and SE. Seats are higher back and adjust more, heated rear seats and separate air con, leather better, Sat Nav & ICE etc. We've also got TV in the dash screen. We looked at HSE's and Vogues. You will pay more for a Vogue though. Also, from 06 the car had a face lift. From this year the Td6 engine is replaced by the TDV8 3.6 diesel. Cracking engine. The Td6 engine is a bit underpowered in a 2.6 tonne car but it doesn't seem to matter in a car like this. Also, the engine is free revving and resonably quite when pushed.

We've had all sorts of 4x4's and this is the "Best 4x4 By Far"..... ;)

Thanks for the advise. Think im just gonna stop being so impatient and wait for the right black vogue to turn up!

Our's is Adriatic Blue, which is very very dark blue. Looks black at night. Really nice colour and a bit different to black... B)

Superb vehicle but don't fall for the Diesel hype. The diesel versions are no more economical than the petrol and nowhere near as good to drive. Both models will do 15 to 18 pottering about and as much as 25 on a run, but no more so there is absolutely no benefit to buying the diesel unless you like greasy hands and distant clattering to keep you company.

Also bear in mind the diesels are at a premium so on your budget buying a V8 will mean your looking at cars 12 months younger and with 15k to 20k less miles on the clock.

Don't worry about resale, the RR is seen as a luxury motor and people buy the V8 model in their droves. Many people in this market won't even consider the Diesel.

Also when comparing prices you need to be aware that spec makes a very big difference to the values and helps resale, so buy the best combination of spec age and mileage that you can afford.

Service history is essential as you can be facing some big bills if its been neglected.

The only RR for me is one with a good spec, low mileage and a big V8 :p

P.S. On your budget you might want to consider a Discovery 3, very nice drive and the TDV6 is a peach, and again you want high spec for resale.

Good luck mate :thumbs:

Depends on what you are doing with the car. A diesel will always return better economy when towing. We do tow a big caravan and a horse trailer. When towing alot of weight we get around 18-19 mpg. A V8 would be more like 10 mpg. Also residuals can be a problem on a V8 Range Rover's when they get older.