New seats, kind of

Hammerz

When I bought my Zed a little over a year ago I always intended on changing the interior. After a bit of research and a couple of days work I've gone from this...

IMG_0011_zpswyewrbc4.jpg

To this...

IMG_0031_zpsfa6fngg7.jpg

I did it by buying a recolour kit from Furniture Clinic, choosing BMW Walknappa Amarone colour. It's got a sealant on it so should last, but time will tell. A leather conditioner can be applied a week after the sealant so I need to wait for a bit.

With a new gear knob on it's way (thanks Tarmac) all I need to do is sort the steering wheel and hand brake.

I'm pretty happy with the finished product.

Edited by Hammerz

I wonder how long it will last? Looks good.

I did my seats the same way just over a year ago, in a lighter colour to these (also a BMW colour). There were concerns at the time of how long it would last and how it would look after time. I'm pleased to report they're holding up really well. I was thinking about updating my original thread with some pics of my seats 'a year on' and think I will do ASAP now.

My thread and pics can be seen here, plus the simple 4 step process involved.... http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81278-new-seats-sort-of/

The only area where the colour has worn off slightly is on the very edge of the drivers seat where the stitching of the base meets the side (where you swing your legs over to get in and out). This is easily touched up with a paintbrush. The seat bolster (where I was expecting the worst wear) is still fine). This really is minimal though.

Hammerz, what finish did you go for? It doesn't look gloss, but I can't tell if it's satin or matt? (I used satin).

• Like 1

Hi, I forgot your thread after reading it when originally posted, yeah same process as you did. I went for a Matt finish, makes a massive difference to how the seats look compared to when the gloss sealant went on. Was tempted by semi-matt but really wanted the soft leather look and really pleased with the change its made to the look of the interior.

Not sure how too do the handbrake and steering wheel without removing them, not sure the sponge technique will be any good, especially sealing the colour in.

Thanks for confirming how yours are holding up, good to hear.