Replacing the auto gear knob.

JoshC

I have seen Octet's thread here about fitting a GTR knob to the auto but I just want something simple and smaller that will replace the massive standard one! When I test drove it the other day it looked insanely huge. Is there not something smaller that will just screw on?

Cheers :)

Edited by JoshC

We also shortened Octets knob as it was to big to handle with the GTR girth :blush: Now that was a tricky operation getting both the internal & external shaft lengths correct

You loved playing with my knob, you looked so satisfied when we've finished! :lol:

Is that the only was to change the knob on the auto then? To cut and chop the bits underneath?

Edited by JoshC

We also shortened Octets knob as it was to big to handle with the GTR girth :blush: Now that was a tricky operation getting both the internal & external shaft lengths correct

You loved playing with my knob, you looked so satisfied when we've finished! :lol:

Is that the only was to change the knob on the auto then? To cut and chop the bits underneath?

You don't need to shorten it but it's well worth doing, I'm sure adrian has pictures on his 78page thread!

If you attempt it, be careful as the shift button works in 2 stages, it goes down a little (can;t remember the exact amount, you will need to measure with a dial gauge or something similar) for the selection of N & D with the brake initiated then another stage to select P & R. If you don't shorten the inner shaft enough, you will be able to select all gear positions whilst on the move without the brake engaged or the button depressed, this will bring up an alarm on the dash also. I can't be very specific on how it goes exactly as it was around 18months ago we did it.

I wouldn't want to know how much a selector unit is from Nissan :lol:

That's for a 350, will it be the same as a 370? If not I'll Mail him to ask.

I sent you instructions?

You sent me instructions? Not had anything?

Darren, looking at US forums they are just fitting them with a button on the top and saying no issues? Do you mean this wouldn't work then?