Speakers

Ceejay29

Hi all,

To my amazement I revealed two 6.5 clarion's behind the rear seats whilst stripping the car of the dull plastics we have to face on a daily basis.

First question; were these even hooked up as I cannot recall disconnecting them :lol: or even hearing them?

Secondly; I feel that it is worth replacing them whilst the car is bare. So what with?

I do know that I would like a double din in the future although that's where my ambition stops! I will not be investing in a sub/amp as those days are over. I would however like to introduce some decent speakers to compliment the future double din.

What specs should I look for and how much should I expect to pay? Where do I look, CarAudioSecurity?

Thanks

Tbh I would either add an amp or not bother changing the speakers at all.

However, if you do decide to change them go with something with a high sensitivity rating, they will work better with a low power amp (bose/headunit etc).

Stock speakers have a high sensitivity so work well with the little power they get, pretty much all aftermarket speakers are designed to be amped so have a lower sensitivity but a higher power rating, you may find changing the speakers will actually sound worse.

Out of the big three online retailers I've found car audio direct to be the better, but theres also car audio centre, any of the three stock tons of entry level stuff.

• Like 1

I spent £30 on my entry level stuff, i.e.£30 on set of components, another £30 on coaxials, cos to be honest the Zed does create a fair bit of road noise from the rear due to the open boot area.

Unless you soundproof all of that, there is no real need for premium equipment.

Although i did spent decent money on a decent amp and ripped all the Bose/Clarion stuff out

• 2 weeks later...

i basically had the fronts, tweeters and sub replaced with hertz fronts and jl sub run off a hertz amp, then adjusted the bias to the front as the rears were pretty pointless, sounds spot on now, the rears seem a little pointless in honesty, but thats personal preferance

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i basically had the fronts, tweeters and sub replaced with hertz fronts and jl sub run off a hertz amp, then adjusted the bias to the front as the rears were pretty pointless, sounds spot on now, the rears seem a little pointless in honesty, but thats personal preferance

When you did this, did you also change the head unit?

Im gonna install new Hertz front component speakers, Sub and Amp, and a Alpine 178bt head unit.

The amp is 4 channel (power the front and sub)

Not sure what do about the rear speakers, I cant plug them direct into the head unit as the 4ohm HU will suffer feeding to 2ohm speakers.

I could send the rear pre-amps from the HU to the stock Bose amp and keep the rear speakers powered this way, but again not sure if this is healthy for the HU.

or just bypass the rear speakers all together.