Diagnostic readings...

Sarah chantal

Hey, not brilliant at this stuff, this is my attempt to learn more as I would like to look after my Zed. I'm looking at purchasing an obd reader, any suggestions on good ones for good prices? And what's the difference between them? It's all a bit confusing for me, like learning a new language!

ELM 327 is the one I got - I got both the BT and WIFI versions - My Zed is a JDM so can only get the BT one working on an Android app. The other one works fine on my Work Civic and I use the Dashboard App through my iPhone

• Like 1

go for a cheapest one you can find, I have chosen a model with a ON/OFF switch, so I keep it inserted in the OBD port all the time and turn it on, only when needed - won't drain your battery, when you don't use the module B)

go for a cheapest one you can find, I have chosen a model with a ON/OFF switch, so I keep it inserted in the OBD port all the time and turn it on, only when needed - won't drain your battery, when you don't use the module B)

Mines always on, i only really drive at the weekend and it never affects the battery, its only got 2 led's on it which the standard alarm has anyway :p

Edited by -Bradders-

Just something to be aware of: I've got a cheap reader from ebay (transparent blue, can't remember the brand) and last time I tried it on the zed it (unknown to me) blew the obd socket fuse. Turns out the only other thing on that circuit is the immobiliser switch on the clutch - so the car was immobilised and I spent hours fault-finding a dodgy switch when I could have just replaced the fuse!

Just something to be aware of: I've got a cheap reader from ebay (transparent blue, can't remember the brand) and last time I tried it on the zed it (unknown to me) blew the obd socket fuse. Turns out the only other thing on that circuit is the immobiliser switch on the clutch - so the car was immobilised and I spent hours fault-finding a dodgy switch when I could have just replaced the fuse!

oh, not what u need eh! The one I had looked at on ebay was a transparent blue, so cheers for the heads up! :) knowing my luck that would happen to me too! Edited by Sarah chantal

Okay, so Has anyone heard of 'dash command' app for iPhone? It says it shows engine data, horse power, torque, acceleration in real time and much more, the lost seems endless! all from the dash board!

Apparently before I can use this app... I need... OBD-II and hard wear compatibility ... 'ELM compatibility wifi' or 'gopoint GL1(hard wear)' or 'BT1 Bluetooth' this is very jargain to me! :/

So can someone explain what I should buy from ebay? Lol! :/ sorry!

Edited by Sarah chantal

OBD2 is a generic thing that all cars support, however the information it gives off can be somewhat limited and will not read absolutely every individual detail. There are countless interfaces, cables, bluetooth thingy majigs which will read OBD2 and then you get an app which will turn that data into something sueful like some of those mentioned above, be it just a generic OBD piece of software or a better app like Torque on android.

For real indepth information you need the manufacturer compatible software - from about 2004'ish onwards nissan wise it needs to support the Consult 3 protocol. Its the same for others too - VAGCOM for audi, seat etc and Opcom/Tech2 for Vauxhalls - these "custom" softwares are what let you do things like recode keys and RFID chips etc to the ECU etc.. and provide the real indept stuff.

VAGCOM told me my old mans fan on his climate control was running a little slow for instance and that he'd set his alarm by mistake. Hope it helps :)

Edited by nex