Carbon Seibon Bonnet Help

Zedrush

Hi guys got a seibon carbon bonnet arrived, love it going to install on my car, just want to know how strong is the latch on it, will it be okay to trust it and install on my car or will I need to reinforce it with either bonnet pins (yuck) or flat lock catches either side of the bonnet, last thing I want is the bonnet lifting up on the motor way by a gust of wind and flying off or am I being over cautious :surrender:

Hi guys got a seibon carbon bonnet arrived, love it going to install on my car, just want to know how strong is the latch on it, will it be okay to trust it and install on my car or will I need to reinforce it with either bonnet pins (yuck) or flat lock catches either side of the bonnet, last thing I want is the bonnet lifting up on the motor way by a gust of wind and flying off or am I being over cautious :surrender:

We have only used the standard latch and it has been on for over 6 months now with no problems and included in that time have been some very high speed runs with no signs of the bonnet lifting at all.

One thing we did notice was how sturdy the braceing was compared to others.

The only issue I had with the Seibon TS is the most rearward vent rides on the battery and brake fluid covers. I'm in the process of cutting them down to about half-height and fabricating a new top for the covers out of carbon fiber. I also removed the vent undercovers so the vents are actually functional.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

Wow nice Tere, I was wondering about the under cover of the vents, Adam says that they have to be removed before installation of the bonnet otherwise it wont sit properly, but if the vents go over the battery and it starts raining will this cause any damage or malfunctions in the engine bay? In england it rains alot :dry:

Wow nice Tere, I was wondering about the under cover of the vents, Adam says that they have to be removed before installation of the bonnet otherwise it wont sit properly, but if the vents go over the battery and it starts raining will this cause any damage or malfunctions in the engine bay? In england it rains alot :dry:

Rain + electrics :scare::surrender::nono:

Rain + electrics :scare::surrender::nono:

Adam said should be alright though :blush:

On my c/f bonnet, not the Seibon bonnet, I had to remove the covering on one side of the vents from the underside of the bonnet as it was fouling on my cold air box. I have tweaked the brackets slightly for the airbox and piping and now it sits fine. However, by the looks of things my vents don't go back as far as they do on the Seibon bonnet.

Not sure if this is any help but it's all I can offer!

My bonnet

Picture385.jpg

On my c/f bonnet, not the Seibon bonnet, I had to remove the covering on one side of the vents from the underside of the bonnet as it was fouling on my cold air box. I have tweaked the brackets slightly for the airbox and piping and now it sits fine. However, by the looks of things my vents don't go back as far as they do on the Seibon bonnet.

Not sure if this is any help but it's all I can offer!

My bonnet

Picture385.jpg

Cheers Andy you getting pins on it, I dont like pins just glad dont need them, just want to know if it rains will it damage anything :surrender:

I'm not getting pins on mine no, can't stand them to be honest!!

If I were you, I would look into protecting the battery in some way, maybe something like Tere has done.

If the battery cover is on its no problem.

Most average cars have the battery right at the front exposed to all weathers and rarely causes a problem.

We have the TS bonnet and it's out in all weathers including serious downpours at Le Mans this year and no problems at all.

I'm not getting pins on mine no, can't stand them to be honest!!

If I were you, I would look into protecting the battery in some way, maybe something like Tere has done.

If the battery cover is on its no problem.

Most average cars have the battery right at the front exposed to all weathers and rarely causes a problem.

We have the TS bonnet and it's out in all weathers including serious downpours at Le Mans this year and no problems at all.

Can't argue with that!! I stand corrected!! :thumbs:

Jay - just so we're not getting confused, here is what I meant ;)

You've got 4 sets of covers in total. 2 come with the hood, and "bolt" on under the vents. These are sometimes (not always) supplied by Seibon, but the hood won't close with them installed (in other words, toss em out!). This will leave the vents in the hood "open" and effective at all times

Then you've got the factory covers for the battery on the one side and master cylinder on the other - these can remain in place. What I would suggest is finding a small piece of rubber matting with self adhesive on the other side, cut a small square, and place it on the underside of the hood where it would come down on top of these factory plastic covers. This will prevent any "scuffing" that can happen between the underside of the hood and the top of the factory plastic covers. I did this to mine, and had no issues with the hood scuffing the factory plastic covers at all in nearly 3 years worth of use

Any questions, of course, let me know!

Jay - just so we're not getting confused, here is what I meant ;)

You've got 4 sets of covers in total. 2 come with the hood, and "bolt" on under the vents. These are sometimes (not always) supplied by Seibon, but the hood won't close with them installed (in other words, toss em out!). This will leave the vents in the hood "open" and effective at all times

Then you've got the factory covers for the battery on the one side and master cylinder on the other - these can remain in place. What I would suggest is finding a small piece of rubber matting with self adhesive on the other side, cut a small square, and place it on the underside of the hood where it would come down on top of these factory plastic covers. This will prevent any "scuffing" that can happen between the underside of the hood and the top of the factory plastic covers. I did this to mine, and had no issues with the hood scuffing the factory plastic covers at all in nearly 3 years worth of use

Any questions, of course, let me know!

cheers Adam totally understand now :thumbs:

excellent - now post some pics!!!!!

would do but my bloody brother is hogging up all the space getting his hood and body kit fitted :dry: plus now he wants some wheels from you too :wacko: So my car cant be fitted in till his comes out, he nicked my space when I went on holiday, I was meant to come back to my car being done and instead he put his in and drove mine around for two weeks :boxing:

By modifying the battery and brake fluid covers, the issue also goes away.

As far as rain going in and ruining anything, I haven't had any issues. Just some water spots to clean up.

For under hood aesthetics, I'm also going to do some radical modification to the hood's under vent covers. The vents will be functional, but the modified covers will cover the unfinished part of the hood around the vents.