Fault code P2138 problem

Madmarky

Hi guys I am currently away from home and on thursday I experienced a problem with the car. I drove approx 120 miles with no issues from the car what so ever then hit some roadworks. After sitting in traffic for around 20 mins I went to open the window and caught the mirror retract button. All of a sudden the cruise light on the dash started flashing (Cruise control was on and set at the time) the Check engine light came on along with the traction control warning lights. Car went into limp home mode. I managed to safely pull to the side of the motorway, turned the engine off for a few mins and then restarted it. Car drove fine for the rest of the journey, about 25 miles with no problems at all.

Friday morning I hooked up my OBD reader and the car was giving the following Fault P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation. I cleared the code and started my driving the car. It ran fine until I took a wrong turn and had to turn around in the road. I was turning around really slowly and once I had made the turn went to accelerate, car bogged down and again all the lights came on and went into limp home mode. Stopped car, turned off and on again checked the code and it was the same. I didnt see it as a real serious issue and obviously something intermittent and was on my way to Alton towers so decided to carry on and drove the car for around 50 miles with no problem at all.

On leaving Alton Towers and sitting in traffic the car went into limp home mode about 4 times. Each time turning car off and on again sorted the problem. I then drove the car back to my friends approx 120 miles all motorway with no other issues.

Anyone have any experiences of this, anything simple to check? I only have simple tools available to me here but am sure the car will get me back home tomorrow but thats another 120 miles away.

Ive got to go out in a bit so will have a little play and see if i can find a set of circumstances which make it go wrong. Also will check all the fuses, definitely must be a electrical issue that has triggered this. Just dont know why it only happens when going slowly or crawling along.

Ill check the battery terminals while im out too and make sure everything secure. The battery itself should be in good condition as was recently checked and fully charged.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article about this exact problem in Blue Print Magazine a few months ago (trade magazine) and the problem was traced to a missing seal which after time had allowed water in and causing corrosion and the problems you're encountering. This may not be the case and as Sam Magoo mentions have you tried the throttle position reset? This may solve your problems although I'm not sure why you're encountering the other problems you mention. If you want i can send you a copy of the article i mentioned which may shine some light on the problems you are encountering and help rectify your problems. PM me and let me know if you need a copy of the article.

I would be interested in reading the article if its not too much trouble for you to sort out. I think however that the problem seems to be sorted for now. I gave all the connectors under the dash a good jiggle around and made sure everything was connected securely. I haven't driven the car much but I have tried to replicate the scenario and cant seem to trigger the limp home mode now. If it is something like corrosion somewhere it would be good to pin point it now and seal it up before it happens again. No doubt it will come back one day, probably knowing my luck at the next Wales event lol