Career Advice - taking the leap **long post**

marzman

Congrats commander, good for you. :thumbs:

So i had another sit down with my boss today after he'd had a chance to discuss my requests with the MD.

It's still in progress waiting to be confirmed and the role fully fleshed out, but they have agreed to change my role, giving me more of what i want.

Promotion to 'Team Leader' (this is the only bad point - i wanted a management role, but there just isnt a position, so this is the best i can get until someone leaves).

4 direct reports

Freedom to make strategic decisions and shape my teams working practices

Input into the future direction of our product

Ownership of internal projects and initiatives which are due to be rolled out

10% payrise :)

Commitment to my future (career path mapped out post Team Leader role, and enrollment on all relevant Management/Commercial training courses available through the company).

Overall i'm reasonably happy. The new responsibilities and payrise are great, but the job title is a (not unexpected) let down. I think this is probably enough to keep me happy for the next 6-12 months, but i dont see it as a long term solution.

On a side note - I had a call from a former colleague tonight who works for one of our main competitors - and he was ringing to offer me a job!! Sadly it was for the same role i'm doing now, but i told him if he'd called me 24 hours earlier it might have been a different conversation, but i'd have to say no. I didnt ask about the salary, but it would have had to have been a massive step up for me to stab my current employers in the back (and ruin what would be an excellent reference).

Ho hum.

Congrats! Sounds to me like they're trying pretty hard to keep you - new job title, some direct reports, freedom to make strategic decisions, commitment to train you up and influence over your business' operations... Aside from wanting 'manager' in your job title, I'm not sure what's missing if I'm honest?!