Warranty claim turned down.

Zedman

I've got the dreaded tyre feathering issue on my car. It has the Bridgestone KZ tyres and is April 04 reg so fits the criteria and my supplying dealer has done the checks as per the TSB and agreed it is feathering. :clap:

However, he has refused the warranty claim based on the fact that the chassis no doesn't fit with the range of numbers from Nissan.

I argued with the service manager who was quite adamant it was not a valid warranty claim. :angry:

I then spoke to Nissan CS who said they couldn't change a dealer decision, but I can take the car to another dealer for another opinion. :angry::angry:

My question is, is this correct, as I thought the main criteria was the KZ tyres and date of production of the car. Also can anyone recommend a dealer in the Midlands who might be a bit more sympahetic towards a claim of this nature.

Look forward to hearing any comments/advice.

Hi,

My dealer is Gordon Lambs in Chesterfield - they seem to be quite helpful. I have only had my car about 5 months, and touch wood have not had cause to use them for any warranty work or anything yet, though the staff do seem very approachable..

You could always give them a ring before making a special journey over and give them the whole story - they may be able to help?

Think of the positive mentions they will get on here if they help you out.... ;)

if the tyres are the old RE040 as you say, i don't see any reason why they should refuse the warranty claim. Aim high and write to the bosses: CS manager, MD etc. I don't see why they shouldn't cover it.

PS I have an end of May 2004 and have the new RE040. Not that I care as once they are worn, I'll never put RE040 again on the Z :)

Thanks for the comments/advice.

I suppose what I need to know is can the warranty claim be refused on chassis nymber alone. If that is the case then I am wasting my time with another dealer, CS etc, etc.

No-one seems to be able to tell me.

I understood the basis of the claim to be the KZ tyres and the wheel alignment form the factory. (Presumably they have changed something now).

Anyone know if it is possible to get hold of the actual Nissan TSB, to see what that says?

not sure about the linking to the chassis number tbh. Since mid 2004 they changed tyres to the new version of the RE040 and the tyre feathering issue has been resolved that way.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the link between chassis number-claim. it seems to be a bit odd tbh...

I work in the automotive industry and the reason the TSB is linked to the chassis number (VIN) is for the car builder to agree with their suppliers that this is the cut off for the problem in production, and at the supplier liability (they pay all costs).

Now to accept a later VIN would in fact point to, that the problem is later (and larger) than agreed with the supplier and the cut off date is wrong.

So any Dealer agreeing to change under warrantee out of this would need to challenge the above to get their money back.

This does happen but is treated on a day by day basis, as not to open the whole issue again.

That would add up with what the service manager told me that the dealer would not get paid.

So it looks like I am scuppered, unless it is worth persuing a good will claim with Nissan as the dealer has confirmed feathering and from a customer point of view, this obviously not occcur.

Is it worth a go?

Guest prescience
That would add up with what the service manager told me that the dealer would not get paid.

So it looks like I am scuppered, unless it is worth persuing a good will claim with Nissan as the dealer has confirmed feathering and from a customer point of view, this obviously not occcur.

Is it worth a go?

I think the last sentence in 350zNismo's post says that it can be pursued on an individual basis.; so yes is the answer. :)

If they did the test in the TSB, ie, measured the wear pattern and it is off, then does not matter what number they have or if in a range....it failed their tests. It must be warranty.

Steve, that's exactly how I understood it to be, but the service manager just kept quoting the the VIN does not fall within the chassis numbers covered and therefore will not be a valid warranty claim.

What I don't want to do is go down the goodwill route if in fact it is covered by the warranty.