Driving holiday to Italy

H5

Alright guys, I was thinking of going to Oz in the new year, but the GF and I have decided we'd probably rather do a driving trip down to Italy. Her parents are moving to the south of France so would incorporate that area (near Perpignan). Question is, for a 2-3 week trip, any body have suggested routes / web sites etc for a tour, that allows one or two 2-3 night stops for some relaxation?

Would love to get to Ferrari and Lambo while there, and possibly call into Geneva on the way there / back? Some more experienced advice needed! :)

We popped across to San Remo whilst on the Europe tour, neither myself or Tracy were that impressed with the cities we visited in the South of France, compared to the scenery and relaxed nature of the Loire Valley.

If you do travel along the south of France toward Italy, you can take in Monaco and Monte Carlo along the way which are nice though. A drive round the Grand Prix circuit at Monaco is good. The stands round near the swimming pool were still in place when we went round, as were the starting grid lines :)

Sounds like the sort of thing.

Quick look this morning and am thinking of a route along the lines of:-

Calais - Paris - Carcassonne - Cannes - Monaco - Milan - Venice - Florence - Modena - Geneva - Reims - Calais.

This look sensible and likely to take in those mountain roads I'm looking for?! :D

We got caught in a hailstorm on the way over to Millau on a mountain road.

When I say hailstorm, it was actually as though someone had opened the cargo bay doors of some plane transporting golf balls. :headhurt:

We thought that the car was going to be dented all over due to the size and force of the things. My advice would be that if you see the first signs of a hail storm, get under a bridge sharpish, as any bigger and I think the car would have been in the panel beaters for a month!

Lovely scenery though, and it should be a great trip! :thumbs:

Calais - Paris - Carcassonne - Cannes - Monaco - Milan - Venice - Florence - Modena - Geneva - Reims - Calais.

This look sensible and likely to take in those mountain roads I'm looking for?! :D

I'm off in two weeks time :yahoo:

Calais - Trier - Mannheim - Rhein Valley - Lake Como - Pisa - Cannes - Carcassone - Algarve - Calais

Millau Viaduct on October 1st

Three weeks in the Z! Can't wait :teeth:

I'm off in two weeks time :yahoo:

Calais - Trier - Mannheim - Rhein Valley - Lake Como - Pisa - Cannes - Carcassone - Algarve - Calais

Millau Viaduct on October 1st

Three weeks in the Z! Can't wait :teeth:

That's the sort of thing! We're thinking of doing ours in two and a half weeks (route above is about 2,500 miles), and going June next year. Might even see if I can incorporate a Grand Prix somewhere along the lines now I think of it.....

It looks like there are some quite big distances between those, are you only staying one night at each stop?

It looks like there are some quite big distances between those, are you only staying one night at each stop?

No, taking five days to get to Pisa, at least another 5 to get to Portugal and then another 5 at least to get back to Calais with some stop-over time in Portugal at a friends place. Should be around 15-17 days driving at about 200-250 miles a day :teeth: