Hard wiring dash cam - advice

hawker1986

Hi all,

After our recent accident escapade Ive decided on getting some dash cams fitted in our cars and ive sorted the one in my civic.

Now im thinking about the new Zed when we get her...has anyone hardwired one of these? A quick search didn't show much up from the forum, ideally what I would like to do is wire in a female cigarette lighter socket to an ignition line. This is what I did with my civic and it was pretty straight forward as there is an option plug in the internal fuse box. Is something similar present in the Zeds fuse box?

If someone has seen a guide ive missed let me know otherwise opinions most welcome.

Cheers.

Ed

Mine is hard wired, pretty easy.

A proper dash cam has 3 wires. Positive, negative and another positive.

The (normally) red and black wires you just wire to the cig lighter circuit, this gives the cam power when the ignition is turned on (it's a switched live)

The other one I wired into the pink wire going up the passenger A pillar, this is always live.

The camera microprocessor detects the power has come up on the cig lighter circuit and powers the camera. When you stop and turn off, that circuit drops low and the camera uses power on the pink interior light circuit for 15 seconds and then turns off and waits for the switched live to come up.

It's a really quick job, 15 mons if you know what you're doing.

Mine is hard wired, pretty easy.

A proper dash cam has 3 wires. Positive, negative and another positive.

The (normally) red and black wires you just wire to the cig lighter circuit, this gives the cam power when the ignition is turned on (it's a switched live)

The other one I wired into the pink wire going up the passenger A pillar, this is always live.

The camera microprocessor detects the power has come up on the cig lighter circuit and powers the camera. When you stop and turn off, that circuit drops low and the camera uses power on the pink interior light circuit for 15 seconds and then turns off and waits for the switched live to come up.

It's a really quick job, 15 mons if you know what you're doing.

This is just a cheapo mini 0803 it has red and white wires only - lets presume I don't know what im doing (but capable of learning), what needs to be done to wire it into the cig lighter?

Cheers

Ed

Edited by hawker1986