little help on buying import (whats the catch)

PPod

So have been looking for the perfect 350z for myself and came across the imports on gumtree and for me the price they were asking for was so low for the amount of miles they have done what is the catch? Here is the links http://m.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-350z-fairlady-300-bhp-japanese-import-must-be-seen-quick-sale-/1077078506

http://m.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-350z-fairlady/1076894551

So why are these imports so cheap do people manage to change the clock to an incorrect km to miles when they were imported or something? Thanks for any help

Thats very cheep - there is nothing wrong with JDM imports, Im currently offering one for sale on here. The way I read the bottom of the add it looks like it still is in KM and hasn't been converted - that may be why its cheep. Mine was switched to Miles on import and I have all the documentation showing the switch, you should ask about that if you are interested in it.

There is no real difference between the JDM and UK beyond the indicator being on the other side and the rear number plate being square.

Hey welcome,

they are nice Zeus for the price and mileage I would look in to it though I have. Imported Z and I would say make sure you know what you are looking for when you go check the cars, like any car really. However you are buying a lot of car for your money and the slightest of problems can turn in to an expensive do as I have found out myself, not to put you of like they are a reliable car and there's plenty of guys on here that will help you through any problem.

More to the point not a lot of people like buying imports because there can be some differences with insurance companies and some May be funny with them however most are fine with it the only thing that changed with my insurance was I didn't get a courtesy car if I needed one.

other than that they are pretty much identical small things may be needed to be looked at like if it has a rear fog light imports generally do not and I will stand to be corrected I'm just going off info I was given when looking for mine. Another point the headlights need to be adjusted to be correctly angled or something on them lines all these need doing to pass the M.O.T however if they have been in the UK a while I should presume they already have them but always check.

As I have just found out the battery is different to uk models being smaller and terminals being the other way round and some garages can be funny with imports I found this with nissan as they didn't have a 'imported parts book' which is rubbish to be fair.

Could go on more facts but they are only minor minor things that you will pick up your self if the problem ever raised or you was interested.

Thanks nath8642 appreciate the info you posted trying get as much info as i can about imports before comiting to one. They dont seem like a hassle as most people make imports out to be.

There is no real disadvantage to having an import, (my previous Z was an import), but there are a few things like

- You cant really be sure of the history in Japan, ie is it the eqivalent of a cat-d. Japanese exports are really tight on their standards so its not too big a risk

- Insurance will be priced slightly higher

- Gauges are all in units we dont use

- Stalks are the wrong way round

- To diagnose mine i had to buy a £230 code reader

- All the stickers and sat nav are in japanese

- Non-Brembo brakes are straight up dangerous, 1 pot tiny calipers on a 1500kg car

- As the milometer has been converted you only ever know a rough mileage of the car

- Square number plates, (cool)

- Auto-fold mirrors

But day to day they are largely the same :)

Edited by Desey