Battery dying/ being drained

iLott

Afternoon chaps, my Z in the last couple of days has been having battery issues. If I leave the car for a few hours 2/3 upwards, the battery drains and the car will have a lot of trouble starting or just won't crank over at all. My voltage gauge reads just under 14volts when running and doesn't move with revs, and I've tested it with a voltmeter too and it reads about 13.98 on idle and 14.2 when revving up to about 3k rpm. My friend seems to think the alternator is overcharging the battery, but ever since I remember it's been reading around 14volts when on. Just want some knowledge dropping on my ass and to see if somebody else has had the same problem/ experience.

Cheers!

Alternator will be putting out about 14 volts. It would be overcharging at 15-16 volts.

Battery could be on its last legs and not holding its charge OR something could be draining it.

You would have to pull one of the battery leads off and put an ammeter in series (or a multimeter set to amps)

to check if its pulling any significant current with everything switched off.

If you find that it is, then you would have to pull fuses one at a time to identify which circuit is causing the drain.

I've disconnected it tonight so if it's healthy tomorrow I know that something is draining it. Then I'll do what you suggested with pulling fuses. I really hope it's just battery and I can pop along to halfords tomorrow and get one. How easy is it to change out a battery on the Z's? It looks pretty awkward...

My battery died without much warning at all this week. Lasted a day after a charge and then I charged it all night to find it wouldn't even turn the engine over in the morning. Grabbed a Bosch battery with 4yr guarantee from Euro Car Parts. Be aware that they have it listed on eBay for £10 cheaper and you can buy and collect locally (currently no voucher codes being accepted on their website and Car Parts 4 Less are more expensive in this instance).