LED DRL Reflector

LloydZee

Hi guys

I'm looking at upgrading my current orange front reflectors to LED DRL's. I've seen a few people with them on here and some guys making them (CS2000 for example).

Is there anyone currently making/selling them?

Also, does anyone know the installation process?

Thanks

I bought mine from a guy in the US. top quality and uses OEM reflectors. top end price wise but well worth the money. just splicing into the headlight, indicators and side light wiring loom is the longest and most awkward part.

Im working on a DRL project of my own,, these will turn on automaticaly to 100% brightness with ignition, dim to 30% when dipped headlights are in use and will also include indicators, when indicating the DRL on the side where indicating will turn off completely and come back on once the indicator has stopped.

Up until now it has been a right royal pain in the backside due to the fact that finding a suitable PCB narrow enough to fit inside the reflector has been akin to finding rocking horse poo, thankfully after searching for two months or so i located a manufacturer in Germany that produce something that fits the bill so that i can start to run trials (these PCB's were delivered just yesterday). You could use Vero Board to mount the LED's or drill into the reflector but to me it looks too much like "homemade", mounting on a PCB has a far more professional and finished look.

The DRL's i am in the process of making will be for the HR models only and a rough cost if you were to make them yourself would be in the region of £100, this cost includes purchase of the JDM clear reflectors ( a couple of traders sell them on here for around £75-80 per pair ), so if you already have reflectors then your looking at £25 per set or thereabouts.

I am hoping that within a month i will actually have a set on the car and put through their paces, if all is well at that stage then i will put up where to source the correct bits, (original Supeflux LED's, Relays, PCB), instructions to build and also a "wiring diagram for dummies" should peeps want to make their own, but real life is in the way at the mo and we are pulled out a work (6 x 12 hour shifts a week) so its a case of when i get the time.

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 1

Sounds a good project!! I don't really have the time to build my own at the moment with work, I want to buy a pre fabricated set and then fit them myself

This guy does some real quality stuff (but has a waiting list) if you want pre-fab http://zledslights.com/#!/~/category/id=4770240&offset=0&sort=priceAsc

Nice one Martin, look forward to seeing yours

So am i, cant wait to get them finished and move onto lime green neon underlighting (that parts a joke) :)

Will be good to finally have someone filling the DRL market for HR bumpers :) I could never justify the cost of paying £80 for a set of the reflectors so never invested any time in building sets.

Good work though :thumbs:

It's looking like there could be a slight change of plan on this project, although the pcb's I sourced from Germany will do the job and work out at about £5 each shipped they do require quite a bit of customising as they are for one colour LED in a series array of 3, this would mean I would have to jump every other series to have another colour (however they are absolutely perfect for using as just as a DRL or even as a low level indicator) which again would serve a purpose but would not look quite right when changing as i feel there could be too big a jump between having white and amber alternated.

However:

Late last night while Googling stuff related to this project I came across a small family run business that manufacture pcb's, believe it or not based in my home town ( i didn't even know the place existed ) anyway the long and the short of it is I have contacted them and given them the exact requirements of the project so fingers crossed they can come up with a nice price for a small batch run to prototype. Most companies i have contacted have either not replied or stipulated a minimum fee to put down the design which costs a small fortune and works out that the first run of boards ( i'm requiring 10 pcb to start off with ) will work out at around £50 a pcb give or take a £ or two, obviously after the first production run the pcb's do become cheaper at around £8.00 per piece its just the initial outlay is quite a lot ( its a set of Berks HFC's almost :) ) for just a project. I'l keep you posted and let those interested know via this thread on any developments in the next few days.

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 1

Martin, Give Samuel at Zleds a look and see if he can help you out with the circuit boards.

That is an option i suppose Rick, i know he does sell made up boards on occasion rather than the full unit, but from what i have seen these are the fancier, flashier and more technical stuff that would fail your MOT in a wink..lol, i'l give these guys in my hometown a couple of days to get back to me and if i get no joy then i will fire an email off to him and see if he can sort something out.

mine went through its MOT bud this year no problems! zed still has all its original indicators so that should not matter?

It's not the indicators I'm referring too, more the headlight and taillight mods for which I have seen that he sells the boards on request, can't really go wrong with his reflector mods

You can buy these clear LED reflectors on fleabay with varying numbers and patterns of LED's. I much prefer these over the small oblong units you can buy as the clear LED reflectors look more like factory OEM. As I understand it the '06+ model reflectors are triangular in section and allow easier fitting of LED's than the '03 to '05 which are pretty much flat in section.

Projects looking good from my end, just spoke to the pcb manufacturer, well happy with the price he has quoted for both fibreglass and aluminium pcb's and have told him to go ahead with the design from the info I emailed a couple of days ago and produce boards of each type for thermal testing of heat retention from the LED's.

• 2 months later...