ADVICE PLEASE GUYS !

JEMAN

As far as I know pulling the MAF sensor and driving it will cause the ECU to drop into a default map so it 'should' run ok.

That's how I diagnosed a MAF failure on one of my old cars. Ran like a dog......pulled the MAF and it ran ok so I knew that was the problem.

It will underperform and won't be fuel efficient at all though.

As said on the other thread, its highly unlikely to be "pinking" yes granted extreme heat can have an effect on AFRs however because the MAF measures air density, hot air will result in less fuel, but AFRs should remain the same, (unless the MAF is actually faulty, without flagging an error code)there is also an air temperature sensor that will signal the ECU to add or remove more fuel dependent on air temp, the only way your likely to get genuine "pinking" would be through the use of very low octane fuel, that the ECU could not retard the ignition timing enough compensate when it receives a signal from the knock sensors.... or a failed knock sensor thats not flagged up an error to the ECU somehow.

Like i have said before by what you describe its something like a heat shield or something else that becomes loose with expansion from heat.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

As said on the other thread, its highly unlikely to be "pinking" yes granted extreme heat can have an effect on AFRs however because the MAF measures air density, hot air will result in less fuel, but AFRs should remain the same, (unless the MAF is actually faulty, without flagging an error code)there is also an air temperature sensor that will signal the ECU to add or remove more fuel dependent on air temp, the only way your likely to get genuine "pinking" would be through the use of very low octane fuel, that the ECU could not retard the ignition timing enough compensate when it receives a signal from the knock sensors.... or a failed knock sensor thats not flagged up an error to the ECU somehow.

Like i have said before by what you describe its something like a heat shield or something else that becomes loose with expansion from heat.

OK........that's my next thing to look at, the heat shield.....not sure where it is, or how to get to it...but I'll give it a go :)