6th Gear Selection

ts743

I've just purchased my first zed and after covering some miles I've become familiar with all the known traits, I'm actually a fan of the unrefined characteristics!

However, 6th gear does not like to select at speed. At 'normal' speeds it selects absolutely fine, but when 5th sees some higher revs, 6th will not select, it's as though it doesn't exist, you just hit a wall. Wait for the revs to drop and it'll slide in fine.

It seems commonplace for the earlier gearboxes to crunch, and maybe mine would if I tried to force things, but that's not clever.

Am I suffering from the effects of a worn syncro or could something else be at play here?

Not sure to be honest but my early DE Zed's gear changes where greatly improved by a gearbox oil change at Horsham Developments with some Moly Slip added as well. Can't hurt to try that first especially if it hasn't been done for a decade. ;)

Link: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=25501&osCsid=lfv11unj18vv9u8ujf41sulf64

I've just purchased my first zed and after covering some miles I've become familiar with all the known traits, I'm actually a fan of the unrefined characteristics!

However, 6th gear does not like to select at speed. At 'normal' speeds it selects absolutely fine, but when 5th sees some higher revs, 6th will not select, it's as though it doesn't exist, you just hit a wall. Wait for the revs to drop and it'll slide in fine.

It seems commonplace for the earlier gearboxes to crunch, and maybe mine would if I tried to force things, but that's not clever.

Am I suffering from the effects of a worn syncro or could something else be at play here?

Mine's just started to do this in 6th too (HR, 71k) - I've got some new oil and molyslip on order from CougarStore that I'm hoping will help, but ultimately it's a sign of the Synchro wearing out. I tried finding 'recon' HR boxes recently and they're like rocking-horse sh**. Best bet seems to be to find a second hand one at a breakers, or through one of the dealers on here.

Mine has just passed 70k too, the previous owner has recently replaced fluids with genuine Nissan and Molyslip, so guessing it's something I'll just have to live with for the time being.