Air conditioning with a mind of its own

sebo-z

Hi All,

it's been a while since my last post, nevertheless it's nice to be back. Here it is: normally I drive with a/c off, I prefer to have the windows down, enjoy the fresh air and that lovely note coming from the back. From time to time unfortunately my Zed decides to switch the air con on on full blast, even though the switch is in off position! I'm not 100% sure but as far as I can remember it only happens in warm/dry weather (because the I usually switch it off). I normally then give it a tap near the on/off switch and it goes off. Ok, no harm done, still makes me worry. Anyone had the same problem? btw, mine is 2005 GT4. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TBH I don't like the noise from the A/C compressor, but if it could only help then I shall start using it more often now. I did have taken the centre console apart a few times, but every time I was extremely careful with all the cables and bands - maybe not careful enough? Everything is working properly, all switches operate without a problem. Could it be the on/off switch itself?

Ok, so for the last week I've been driving with a/c on, I have done about 50 miles. The air is cool and dry, no bad smell or anything like that. One thing I have noticed is terrible whining that is revs-dependant. Speed is irrelevant, but when i rev the car, whether it's in the car park or during the trip, on the move, the whining gets louder and the pitch of the sound goes up with the revs. The problem dissapears when I switch the a/c off. Not sure if its normal, but at idle rpm with a/c on I get the sound just like the one you hear when the radiator fan is on. My worry is it's the a/c compressor on its way out. Anyone had similar problems?

When was the last time the A/C gas was changed as when they change it they should inject a lubricant oil in with it, which if it hasnt been done for a while the oil could have gone off an not lubricating the compressor efficiently

Now that's something I can't say... Bought the Zed in 2012 with 28k on the clock, now@ 41k, I don't think it has ever been re-charged or serviced. Should I take it for re-charging and servicing then?

i would advise it to see if it quieten down the compressor, i might be wrong but i recall something about VW when i was there recommendation it gets changed every 2-3 years obviously nissan will be different but i cant see it hurting