Number plate mounted on towing eye.

JoshC

Don';t know if this has been done before but posted another thread a while back about how to fix a square plate to the front of my Z after I had the badge and number plate holes smoohted out. Didn't want to use the stickers or drill into fresh paint so was ging to use a bracket to come under the front of the bumper but paid a vsit to my mates garage and came up with a much simpler solution.

We took the towing eye from the boot, cut off the actual ring on the end and welded a small metal plate to it. Then screwed the number plate into the end of the towing eye/mounting plate and screwed it into the towing eye hole. The beuaty of it is, you can't see where it's mounted and it can easily been taken off any time and the little slot out of the grill reaplced to have a compleetely smooth front end again :D

10518937_10204301457881267_1545407804_n_zpsd04575bf.jpg

10508422_10204301457601260_1993725122_n_zps9ab61911.jpg

As you can see it's a rough job and the holes screws could have been lined up better if you have OCD but needed a quick solution and this took 10 minutes! (also added number plate stickers to just the plate to stop it scratching the bumper as it's a very flush fit.) And of course have got hold of a new towing eye from a scrappies!

post-17234-0-88613500-1404912414_thumb.jpg

post-17234-0-91421900-1404912419_thumb.jpg

Not seen that Stillen one before but pretty much the spame thing! Mine cost me just a replacement towing eye though and a favour from a mate with a welder! Maybe I'll get him to make up some tidier versions and charge half of what Stillen are :p

• 8 months later...