Fuel Pump?

Daryl

I didnt want to hijack the previous thread, so thought id start another.

After Sly did an awesome job of fitting my coilovers the other week, i noticed a really odd sound on the drive back. I thought it sounded like a drive shaft, or diff related issue, but the more I hear it, the more im convinced its the fuel pump. (Especially after reading the previous thread) Its really quite loud when doing motorway speeds, then goes away when going faster or slow, so its heard from around 2-3.5k in the rev range. Iv always noticed a small humming type noise from it at the same sort of speeds, but this is now rediculous, to the point where I have to turn the stereo up to drown it out.

Does this mean its on its way out and needs replacing? Car is on 75k if that helps.

If it's that loud, I'd suspect a bearing of some sort. Wheel bearing or diff I would guess.

You say between 2-3500rpm its loudest so is it rev related? or speed related?

Also, if you had coil-overs / lowered the day it started it could be because the prop shaft and drive shafts will be running at a slightly different angle which could have highlighted any issues.

Have you checked for anything rubbing anywhere?

If it's that loud, I'd suspect a bearing of some sort. Wheel bearing or diff I would guess.

You say between 2-3500rpm its loudest so is it rev related? or speed related?

Also, if you had coil-overs / lowered the day it started it could be because the prop shaft and drive shafts will be running at a slightly different angle which could have highlighted any issues.

Have you checked for anything rubbing anywhere?

This!

Is the pump speed /voltage controlled by the ECU as load increases? otherwise its unlikely to vary in its sound output.

I wondered if it was drive shaft or wheel bearing, as it suddenly appeared after the coilovers were fitted. Its going back to Sly soon to have the camber arms fitted, so will discuss it with him at the time, and see if we can see what the sketch is.

Conducted another experiment, and took the car out of gear while it was making the noise, and the noise was still there, so it must be drive shaft/diff related. I hope Sly still does his drive shaft regrease job, as il see if he can do that while its back with him.